Why does my chromebook have lines at the top of my screen?

Mangopeanutbut
Mangopeanutbut Member Posts: 2 New User

I dropped my chromebook, and after that incident my device was okay. However, while I was using it, the screen has lines everywhere and I shut down my chromebook and it was still there. I tried resetting the chromebook, and it still didn't work. Until now, my chromebook won't turn on. I don't want to tell my parents about it, since they would pay money for it to get it fixed.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Can you show us a picture of the artifacts on the screen? You may have broken the glass internally, you may have just jostled loose the cable that runs between motherboard and display, or it might be something completely different... Also, it will be important for us to know which Chromebook you have. The full model number should be on the same sticker as your serial number and be something like CBxxx-xxx-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mangopeanutbut
    Mangopeanutbut Member Posts: 2 New User

The model is Acer Chromebook spin 713.

CP713 - 2W -393J

How can it be fixed? Is there anyway I can fix it myself, and not bring it in for repair?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

That looks like an issue with the cable that goes between the motherboard and the LCD. Most often on older machines it's caused the the wires cracking where the cable is flexed when the laptop is opened or closed, but on newer machines it's more likely to be corrosion where the cable actually connects at each end. If you want to open it up yourself (which may void your warranty, that's dependent on location) you can disconnect and reconnect the cable at each end to see if it makes a difference.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.