Acer laptop LEFT side Screen hinge Problem

Seems this subject is a regular issue with your laptops / notebooks.

I believe my machine SN are registered with you. What parts are required to fix it?

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044

@ErikBruner

I am really sorry for the inconvenience. We really want to help you.

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.   Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - click on "contact support". Scroll down. You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

If it is out of warranty, please contact local store or

Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.  On the new page - scroll down - Click on "Repair My Acer" - Request to have your Acer product repaired.  There will be charges for repair. 

Additional info to contact Acer Store: Please visit the website - support.acer.com - chose your country - click on shop.  You can buy desktop, laptop, monitor and accessories. Alternatively, on the top right corner you can find the phone no to contact Acer store.  For the parts which are not available on Acer store, you have to contact local store.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• ErikBruner
    ErikBruner Member Posts: 3 New User

Oh look, an answer bot.

Anyone have an real answer?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

Hey ErikBruner, first is your laptop under warranty, is it an old laptop, and what is the exact model number of your laptop, as that would really help to give you a precise guide for the parts that you need for your laptop! Yes, hinges break but they also break on every other brand laptops and NOT ONLY Acer, also and if you would have given us more and exact details of your model number, where the hinge broke from, then it would HELP and also we could advise you more precisely. Anyway, these are your 2x options:

1. The Messy Way is to use a Hot Glee Stick - which and btw, there are many guides on the web of how to do this, and its the quick way (which I don't recommend) and also, and if you do it this way, and you ever want to open especially the bottom cover, you need to reheat the hot glue again so that the glue melts and you can open the bottom cover. This way is to use a hot glue stick from a hot glue gun and melt the glue with a soldering heat gun that gets up to 500c temps (don't use a heat gun as the glue does not melt to a 500c temp and will not work and the glue will come undone!) glue the hinge to either the bottom or the top part of whatever part your hinge has broken away from? That you didn't tell us about.
    2. The Best Way - is to order either a top case or a bottom case (whichever the hinge has broken away from) and attach the hinge to these new mounting points as that is the best way! But, you have to disassemble all parts and components to do this and its a big and long job.

• ErikBruner
    ErikBruner Member Posts: 3 New User

Yes, hinges break but they also break on every other brand laptops

Um, no they don't. I had a Toshiba for 13 years never broke a hinge. Also a Lenovo for 5 years (no hinge issues) before I bought the ACER which is only a year and a half. So, no warranty is not an option. I have completed a bit of research around this issue and it seems more like an Acer engineering fault. One that you hope an pray doesn't rear its ugly head until the warranty period expires.

And for the record I don't do ''messy''.

How puerile to even make such a suggestion. Sounds to me like my next laptop won't be an Acer.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

Suit yourself as and if you want to make comparisons, then I've had Acer laptops for 15 years and never had a broken hinge or case also! As all laptops are susceptible to however a consumer uses them, and if you read my above post, I did suggest that the hot glue method "I did NOT Recommend" but its an alternative quick fix to some and it might not be yours, as I recommended replacing either the top case or bottom case completely with a new one. As they are not expensive, and also, whichever one is applicable to your problem, as you haven't referred to which case has broken, as that is a100% fix.

Btw, this Acer community's members forum, is PART OF ACER and we can't have any influence on how Acer will respond/fix your problem, get in contact with Acer, as this community is here to help each other out on Acer products problems with a helpful and in a good and kind spirt way, so if you have any complaints, contact Acer directly. Cheers and hope I've helped you out.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

The hinge issues are really an artifact of the trend toward thin and light laptops. In order to make them thin the case halves need to have less depth, which means there are shorter screws going into shorter holes. Over time, especially if you open and close fast or from a corner instead of the middle, the screws pull loose from the case and you get the "broken hinge" issue. It can be alleviated best by treating them gently from day one, but once the damage has started you have to deal with it. The solution when in warranty is to replace the case half and Acer is good about doing that in most instances (if there's other damage that points at user errors they will sometimes balk). If out of warranty and if the laptop is still new enough there aren't a lot of parts on the secondary market then the best way forward is to rebuild the hinge mounts on the case with something like a good epoxy. Use a piece of Teflon plumbers tape to give the flat surface at the top and once it's fully set just drill a new hole for the self tapping screw. Some users have also loosened the hinge itself a bit and used Loctite to hold them in that tension, but that can make the opening and closing a bit floppy if you get it too loose.

Oh, and the left side thing is due to the direction you tighten screws... The left side hinge tends to tighten under use, the right to loosen.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.