Predator Helios 300 PH315-54 SDD High Temperature issues

medieval78
medieval78 Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hello,

Yesterday I bought my first Predator Helios 300 PH315-54 SDD. My spec is following:

• Intel® Core™ i7-11800H Processor
  • RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 1 TB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB

I noticed issue with high temperatures of my internal SSD drive (Samsung one). If I do simple tasks like web browsing or web/image editing in Photoshop the SDD get temperatures 59-62 degrees C. Laptop is placed on powerful cooling pad (CoolerMaster). I upgraded Bios to the latest one v1.13.

Here is a screenshot from the Predator Sense (System temperature is pretty high in comparison to the CPU/GPU ):

When it reaches those high temps I noticed that the fan tries to decrees the temperature so the SDD goes to 57 degrees which is still high. Fans are pretty loud and work on 3250 (CPU)/3750(GPU) rpm non stop.

On my 2 years HP Omen with with still good configuration (Intel Core i7-10750H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB and RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 1 TB SSD) I get temperatures on my SSD between 35-45 degrees C in the same scenario. The fans go to higher speed occasionally.

Should I be worried? I'm worried what I temperatures I get inside of my laptop if I start gaming sessions.

Best Regards,

Przemek

Answers

• Hi,

Go to Acer's Driver download link, check whether there are any newer drivers available for you, like Intel Rapid Storage driver, Chipset driver etc. I have seen a recent driver for IRST(dated 08/08/22), check the driver version with the one in Device Manager.

Samsung drives runs normally hotter than other drives, your temperatures are not too bad, anyway, give the above solution a try and see whether it helps.

I have attached my drive temperature while idling.

Download Acer Support Drivers and Manuals | Acer United States

• medieval78

Hi,

Thank you for your tip. I have checked the drivers and it looks like have the latest ones already installed. I noticed if I increase the fans speed it helps to reduce temperature of my ssd but it get louder for sure.

I'm wondering if the ssd is placed to close to a source of heat so that causes the issue. My CrystalDisk shows 59-60 when I do graphic/web tasks only. When I set fans to max the ssd temperature goes down to 53/54 but the laptop is very loud.

Best Regards,

Przemek

• No problem, Samsung drives can withstand temperatures up to 70° C, I think you don't have to be concerned about the temperatures at the moment, however, even if you have the newer driver for Intel Rapid Storage Technology and Chipset, I would suggest you reinstall the drivers for IRST and Chipset.

• medieval78

Hi,

I will keep my eyes on the drivers and bios updates.

I disabled Ethernet LAN and I think it helped to reduce the system temperature to 60-62 degrees. My SSD temperatures now are 52-55 when I do everyday tasks. I saw some photos of the MB and I'm wondering if close location of a PCH chipset can increase the SDD temps?

By the way the same drive installed in HP Omen (2020) reaches temps 10 degrees lower.

Best Regards,

Przemek

• Yes, location of the drive may cause the high temperatures, 52-55 is not too bad and acceptable for the drive, thanks for reporting the outcome.

• What is the model of the ssd samsung?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • medieval78

Hi,

It is SAMSUNG MZVL21T0HCLR-00BT7

I also noticed high system temperatures when I played games. it reached 92 degrees after 20-25 mins of playing MK11.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • medieval78

Hi,

I have already installed the Samsung Magician tool but for some reason my SDD is only partially supported. Device Health status is N/A, firmware update is not available. I have read that SAMSUNG MZVL21T0HCLR-00BT7 is an OEM variant of the 980 Pro but comes with limited support from the official software.

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

"I have read that SAMSUNG MZVL21T0HCLR-00BT7 is an OEM variant of the 980 Pro"

How can I find this out for my laptop's SSD?

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • Did this problem start after installing a second nvme ssd? This system temperature is controlled by the PCH:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• medieval78

Hi,

The problem was from the first day after purchase. I have only one nvme SSD installed (the original one). The other two drives thay are USB external hdds. I disconnected one of them and I'm testing if there is an improvements with temperatures and system stability.

• Buia
    Buia Member Posts: 1 New User

So, I have the same problem. The issue in my case is related to the Ethernet Connection. I found out that disabling the ethernet on device manager or in the network adapter settings does reduce the System Temperature of the laptop. Tried to contact the Acer Online Support and they didn't solve the problem. In my opnion it has something to do with the ethernet drivers, since disabling does solve the problem, in my case. 

Please if someone has a solution to this, do share, since I didn't buy a expensive laptop just to not be able to use the Ethernet Cable.

• OK! Then report again if the temperatures are still high or not.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• medieval78

Hi,

The temperatures settle at the 48-57 degrees range when I work with Adobe Photoshop or Capture One or watch Netflix or other streaming services. I didn't have time to play games. I noticed that setting GPU fan at custom setting with min 2500 rpm helps. It is improvement but temps still are higher around 8-10 degrees what I get in my HP Omen in the same scenario.

The bigger issue is the laptop crashes every day when I use it for longer time, For example when I watch videos or browse websites it crashes randomly and get BSOD. It even happens when I restored laptop to the Acer factory state.

I decided to order a replacement hoping I had a bad luck and got a bad piece with a defective hardware.

• OK! Then come back here when you are able to change the laptop.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• medieval78

Hi,

As Soon as I get the replacement I will let you know. I'm hoping the new one will be free from issues.

• medieval78

Hi,

I got my replacement laptop last week. I noticed that I have installed RAM modules and the SSD from the different manufacturer this time. Both are from Micron.

SSD is Micron_3400_MTFDKBA1T0TFH 1024.2 GB (the other laptop had Samsung one).

I believe I had a bad laptop at the first time as the replacement one has no issues with SSD overheating. When I do my everyday design work I get temps at 39-42 Celsius degrees range. Which are the same as I got on my HP Omen. I only played the Witcher 3 Game for a short time and my temps were around 55-56 degrees. Idle temps drops even to 32 degrees.

I presume the other laptop had issues with mobo or SSD which resulted high temps and crashing. No BOSD/Crashes so far.

• medieval78

Hi,

Small amendment to the previous post. At the gaming session SSD temps were 45-46 degrees instead of 55-56.