Veriton Bios Update Help Acer Veriton X4610G

Options
BblobB
BblobB Member Posts: 1 New User
edited September 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I bought an oldish Acer Veriton X4610G that came with Windows 10 and I've been going over it before I hand it over to a friend and unfortunately it needs a new hard drive and more ram but other than that its good, when I went into the bios I was surprised to see a very basic bios with only four options and only two of them are changeable, who knows why but the name of this bios is "Intel boot agent GE v 1.3.65" and I have to use CTRL+S to get to it, not DEL or the usual ESC, F1 etc. so I am wondering if I can update this to a real bios like in the second picture, I found it in a manual for this model X4610G, I have found on the Acer site a bios "Bios P01-B3" from 2012 and the second picture below shows the "P01-A0" the first of them all and because my garbage bios looks nothing like what it should be I'm afraid the update bios will brick this PC. Has anyone seen this basic bios and had success upgrading it?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,438 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

DON"T MESS with your bios.

It should tell you at the bottom of the screen as how to get into the bios. Maybe F2 key ?

Why are you doing updates ? If it runs then sell it as it is ??

If you go to the right of this screen to assistance my ACER (drivers and manual) that has good info by using your serial number.

You don't need to go into bios to update your RAM and possibly not the SSD.

DO NOT UPDATE OR MESS WITH BIOS if not needed,

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

They really made poor choices with the color scheme... You can faintly see the other tabs, Advanced, Power, Security, Boot Options and Exit at the top. Try using the cursor left and right keys to get through the tabs.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,013 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022
    Options

The Acer OEM Veriton X4610G has Intel Q65 chipset board, the bios 1st caption doesn't look like an Acer OEM Veriton X4610G bios, don't mess or try to flash the OEM Acer version P01.B3L bios with this motherboard as doing a nongenuine bios flash will brick this desktop. The Acer OEM fitted motherboard (see caption below) that is fitted to the Veriton X4610G is a "MB Kit VX4610 Intel Q65 Intel 82579LM Acer Logo uATX W/ IO Bracket W/O 1394 V1.0 LF - part# MB.VCW07.001" the Acer version P01.B3L bios is made for this motherboard's bios chip only, as it looks like your desktop's motherboard might have been changed with another board? The 1st caption of the bios does not look like the original Acer OEM Veriton X4610G bios. As the Veriton X4610G bios has a Main Tab, Advanced Tab, Power Tab. Security Tab, Boot Option Tab that caters for a EFI Device and an Exit Tab which is the bios that is 100% compatible with the Veriton X4610G OEM bios.

You can upgrade this this Veriton X4610G (depends on your specs?) as the Maximum System Memory Supported is 16GB max total into its 4x DIMM slots.  You can install memory modules in any combination 1GG, 2GB or 4GB as long as they match these specifications of DDR III 1333/1066 MHz - 1.5V - 240-pin DDRIII. The cpu is an Intel Socket LGA 1155 pin and this desktop comes OEM with a Core i7-2600/Core i5-2400/Core i5-2300 /Core i3-2120 but you can easily upgrade to the top of the range Core i7-2700K that will give you 20% relative performance increase on the i7-2600 cpu. Good luck and hope this helps you out as these old desktops/laptops are fun to upgrade and make them into quite a useful tool with Win-10.

OEM Veriton X4610G motherboard

• Marty11
    Marty11 Member Posts: 109 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi @BblobB

I have an identical system. Have a look at my topic to get your system propelled into 2023, with fast boots and Win 10x64. System speed and usability is still fine.

You will need a BIOS update to get NVME support, but the hardware is capable of NVME support.

• Marty11
    edited January 2023
    Options

I had a look in my BIOS and saw a difference with yours.

Mine says "Product Name: Veriton X4610G" and yours just says: Veriton X4610 without the trailing G.

Are you absolutely sure that you have the Veriton X4910G model?

Here's a picture of my BIOS:

Try to lookup the SNID information on the Acer sticker on the casing or the serial number on the BIOS main page and enter it on the Acer site to lookup your specs.

• billsey
    Options

The added G in the model name just shows that a GPU card was installed by the factory.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Marty11
    Options

That's strange. My X4810G came without a discrete video card and runs the SoC's onboard Inter Graphics HD 2000.

Well, if the MB hasn't been changed then it should be upgradable to the latest version provided by Acer.

First things first have a look over here:

How to Turn Off Intel® Boot Agent (IBA) or Prevent It from Running

What is the Intel® Boot Agent (IBA)?

The Intel® Boot Agent (IBA) is firmware in the Network Interface Card (NIC). The Intel® Boot Agent (IBA) allows your networked client computer to boot using an image on a remote server. PC vendors can implement the Intel Boot Agent (IBA) to accommodate various environments and protocols. The BIOS inserts the Intel Boot Agent (IBA) into the list of boot devices. When the Intel Boot Agent (IBA) is ahead of any other bootable device in the list, it executes and tries to boot the computer over the network.

Disabling the Intel Boot Agent (IBA) applies to add-on adapters plugged into a PCI, PCI-X, or PCI Express* slot.

You can check if you have an add-on adapter by checking if a PCIe extension card is present with an RJ45 connection port. The Motherboard also has an RJ45, if that's the only one, then you should be able to turn the IBA off via BIOS settings.

If you have a built-in network connection, refer to your computer's documentation. Usually the settings to disable or enable a boot agent are in the BIOS.

To prevent the Intel Boot Agent (IBA) from executing:

1. Go into the BIOS and find the order settings for the boot devices.
    2. Move the boot agent down the list after the hard drive or the device you prefer to boot from.

You can get into bios by pressing <DEL> key many times in short succession directly after pushing the ON-button.

BTW The X4810 also has management extensions. Turn them off as much as you can. You don't need them for stand alone use, they can only make your system vulnerable.

Please report back how you fare.

The X4610 is a nice machine that's still very viable with an NVME SSD drive.

Does your system have a discrete video card?

• billsey
    Options

I assume you mean X4610G not X4810G... The X4610G systems all came with a GPU installed form the factory, the X4610 systems came with only on board video. I don't have a cross reference between SKU and GPU though, so can't tell which GPU came with which model.

• Marty11
    edited January 2023
    Options

You're right I made a typo I meant to write X4610G

My X4610G has part number: PSVCXE3124. I bought it new in the original box sealed with a holographic Acer sticker. I can't imagine my reseller could have pulled out the discrete graphics card? BTW the system box was also sealed with a sticker, that was in-tact. A graphics card could not have been removed without breaking that seal...

Hey, I tried looking up the specs, but the support pages at Acer seem to have disappeared.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,438 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
  • billsey
    Options

They have been revamping the support site, so old links like that often no longer work. Here's the one I get if I just use their search for your model:

In addition they are gradually dropping older models, and yours is really, really old... :) I know of no SKUs that wouldn't have had the GPU installed, short of the X4610 versions. Was it ever in a shop for repair over the last ten-twelve years?