Acer (GN246HL) Monitor - Cannot get over 60hz

Naigaru
Naigaru Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the acer gn246hl monitor, and I understand that to reach over 60hz, you cannot use the hdmi port or the display port on the monitor, and can only use the dvi-d dual link port. Going with this information I tried to connect to the internal graphics on my motherboard through dvi-d and turns out the graphics card isn't strong enough to support over 60hz. So after that I got a cable that is dvi-d dual link to hdmi and plugged that from the monitor (dvi side) to my nvidia geforce rtx 3080 graphics card (hdmi side) which theoretically should have worked since the port on the graphics card should be able to allow up to 4k at 120hz, so especially just 1080p, and the cable is also able to allow 120hz at 1080p. When I try to change the display settings it says my max hz is 60, and it calls the monitor "Generic PnP Monitor" so unsure if the driver is outdated on that or something. I'm on Windows 10 Home if that helps.

Was wondering whether anyone could assist me in somehow enabling 120hz, and i'll link the cable I have as well. thank you.

https://us.maxgaming.com/us/hdmi-cable/hdmi-to-dvi-d-dual-link-cable-18-meter

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

I believe you need an active (read that as the more expensive type) convertor to do HDMI to DVI Dual Link, the passive ones won't handle the higher frequencies, if they work at all. Going the other way (DVI to HDMI) just requires an adapter cable (read that as the cheap ones). I think the active ones can be had for the $40-50 range...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LD76150
    LD76150 Member Posts: 2 New User

hi

getting a cable convertor are you serious ? or is it a bad joke ?

Same issue Here with my Acer (GN246HL) Monitor, using the same HDMI cable

i didn't have any problem with W7

i've installed W11 and now it's impossible te have better than 60hz in any

i have just a question why acer provides only a driver for W7 ? and a last version of it done in 2014

is it so difficult for Acer to pay a developper to maintain an honest driver update Policy ?

• LD76150
    LD76150 Member Posts: 2 New User

My next Monitor will not be an Acer, i'm afraid...