installing linux on a Acer-Nitro 5 AN517-55-5453

bluemoon81
bluemoon81 Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm having trouble installing linux on my laptop. I downloaded the 64 bit version from both the ubuntu and kali sites. once the file is downloaded I'm unable to locate it on my computer. I can't even delete the ones I've downloaded because they're running. please help.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

By default downloads go into your Downloads folder. The file you downloaded is likely an ISO or IMG file and will be pretty big. Use Rufus to take that file and write it to a flash drive. Once it's ready go into your BIOS and make sure the Boot Menu is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled. Plug the flash drive in and restart. As soon as the Acer logo appears, or even before, start hitting the F12 key to get the boot menu. From that menu choose the flash drive and it should come up. From there you can go ahead and do whatever install you wish...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

By default downloads go into your Downloads folder. The file you downloaded is likely an ISO or IMG file and will be pretty big. Use Rufus to take that file and write it to a flash drive. Once it's ready go into your BIOS and make sure the Boot Menu is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled. Plug the flash drive in and restart. As soon as the Acer logo appears, or even before, start hitting the F12 key to get the boot menu. From that menu choose the flash drive and it should come up. From there you can go ahead and do whatever install you wish...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.