Does Anyone use PredatorSense Extreme or Turbo Modes for Gaming?PH317-55 (i7 1180H, RTX3060)

Options
Alijoh
Alijoh Member Posts: 66 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited September 2022 in Predator Laptops

Hi.

Hi. I have a PH317-55 (i7 1180H, RTX3060) which I absolutely love. It has good performance and I like the looks of the laptop a lot.

One issue that I have is that I have always wanted to use the built-in PredatorSense software and use its potential, but whenever I designate the Extreme mode for a game, it will overclock the CPU and GPU which will result in my CPU to run at 100°C almost all the time that I am in the game. And also there is barely any performance gains from using the Extreme or Turbo modes for me.

As a reference, I have attached some pictures that show a gaming benchmarks that I did using different modes. As you can see, the performance difference between the default mode and the extreme/turbo modes is a gain of about 1.5 fps which is really not noticeable. But the CPU temp hits 100C all the times in extreme/turbo modes.

So I wanted to know if anyone uses the extreme/turbo modes while gaming and if they have noticed a better performance gains? If yes, then maybe something is not right with my laptop and I can look into it further. I really like to use the built-in software's potential in having different modes and not using the extreme/turbo modes because of not providing any noticeable gains is kind of a shame.

Thanks.

(edited the title to add model name )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,479 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>CPU temp hits 100C all the times in extreme/turbo mode>>>

Way too hot!!! Extreme mode should only be used for games that exhibit stuttering or throttling behavior at CPU temps well below 94*C and GPU temps well below 86*C.

Extreme mode should absolutely not be used if CPU temps exceed 94*C under any circumstance. It will eventually damage the CPU if done repeatedly.

Jack E/NJ

• Alijoh
    Options

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Then what do you suggest I do? In default mode and with auto fans, I hit CPU 92C and GPU 86C already. And my room ambient temperature is 25C. And as I said if I use Extreme mode, CPU hits 100C and GPU same throttled 86C (I think 86C is the thermal throttle limit of the GPU).

Should I consider re-pasting the cooling system? With regular thermal pastes such as Thermal Grizzly Kryounat?

• JackE
    Options

>>>In default mode and with auto fans, I hit CPU 92C and GPU 86C already.>>>

Try this before doing anything else.

Raise laptop about an inch above a hard surface to help promote airflow in and out of the intake and exhausts vents on the bottom. Make sure these airvents are not blocked by whatever you use to raise the laptop. I raise my laptop with a grilling rack from a toaster oven. Reduces processor temps between 5-10*C under load.

Try to get CPU temps consistently below 90*C and GPU below 80*C.

Jack E/NJ

• Alijoh
    Options

Thanks, I did try that but I only saw a drop of GPU temp by about 2 degrees. I also have my fan speeds custom at about 90% in games. With these and in default my CPU still hits 92C and GPU about 80C. My room temperature is also about 23C.

I don't know if I should try re-pasting the cooling system with a high quality thermal paste (such as Thermal Grizzly Kryounat) or not.

• JackE
    Options

>>>CPU still hits 92C and GPU about 80C>>>I don't know if I should try re-pasting the cooling system with a high quality thermal paste (such as Thermal Grizzly Kryounat) or not.>>>

CPU is borderline under heavy load. GPU is acceptable. Re-pasting always risks collateral damage. But should be considered annual maintenance if heavily gamed. Before repasting, in addition to raising the laptop, I might also alternately vacuum the air intake vents directly over the fan blades and blow air into air exhaust vents to help loosen and remove any dust debris that can impede airflow inside. This might get another few degrees lower without opening the case.

Jack E/NJ