Why is the memory not what Acer says it isinAspire 7736z

CGG
CGG Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited September 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

I went to upgrade the memory in my Aspire 7736z from 3Gb to the max of 4Gb, so I figured I would just replace the 1Gb module with a 2Gb module matching the other module, I was expecting to find 667MHz pc2-5300 soDIMM modules as that is what Acer (and every place I have looked) says is what memory is for my system, however I found that Acer had 800MHz pc2-6400 modules installed in it instead.

Why does Acer (and everyone else) say that my system takes 667MHz pc2-5300 soDIMM if Acer had 800MHz pc2-6400 soDIMM installed in it instead?

Now I'm wondering which module system I should upgrade it with, drop down to what my system is said to use, or go with what Acer installed it with?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The SG for your model gives the 667MHz speed, since that's what they originally shipped with. Part way through the life cycle they changed to a different chipset and also changed to 800MHz memory. You are lucky enough to have one of the later machines. Spec on yours is 800MHz memory as shown in the later block diagram:

You are still limited to 2GB per stick, for a maximum of 4GB of system memory...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

The Aspire 7736Z Series laptops came with the Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 PGA (2.0 GHz) type cpu and the DDR2-800Mhz type ram is compatible with that cpu, btw you can upgrade this cpu to the higher spec Intel® Core™2 Duo processor types, so look at the specs at that link, as these cpu's are also fitted by Acer to the 7736 series laptops and are compatible for you to upgrade to if you want to run the1066 MHz type ram.

This is the official SG OEM ram specs for the Aspire 773Z:

1. Max 4GB for 64bit OS (with a max of two 2GB SODIMM) /
    2. DDR 2-667 MHz Synchronous DRAM/
    3. 1.5V/240-pin soDIMM type ram,

The working combination list of this ram is as follows:

• CGG

Tinkerer

They are both 800MHz pc2-6400 modules, 1 is a 1Gb 2Rx16, the other is a 2GB 2Rx8.

If right off the start of production of the 7736z they were installing 800MHz pc2-6400 modules while their data specs listed the 667MHz pc2-5300 modules as what was compatible with the system, and they never updated their data specs to include the 800MHz pc2-6400 modules as being compatible, it makes one question if the system is limited to only 4Gb.

None of the memory suppliers I have checked with were aware of the system's compatibility with the 800MHz pc2-6400 modules.

Funny thing about that official SG OEM ram specs for the 7736z is that soDIMMs are not 240-pin modules, they are 200-pin modules

• CGG

Tinkerer

Oh, and sorry, but no you can't. Just because it fits the socket doesn't therefore mean that you can install the maxed out cpu in that series, there is also the support limitations of the chipset that limits what cpu can be installed. Fact is that the 800MHz ram is compatible with the GL40 chipset because the chipset supports an 800MHz bus, but the GL40 chipset does not support the 1066MHz FSB of the entire P and E series and most of the T9xxx series of the Core 2 Duo cpus.

However, the GM45 chipset does support the 1066MHz FSB of those cpus and can even support the 4 cores of the Q9000 and Q9100 Core 2 Quad cpus , unfortunately for me my 7736z is equipped with the lazy lapdog GL40 chipset.

• billsey
    Answer ✓

The SG for your model gives the 667MHz speed, since that's what they originally shipped with. Part way through the life cycle they changed to a different chipset and also changed to 800MHz memory. You are lucky enough to have one of the later machines. Spec on yours is 800MHz memory as shown in the later block diagram:

You are still limited to 2GB per stick, for a maximum of 4GB of system memory...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CGG

Tinkerer

Thank you, that actually answers my inquiry and provides an explanation for it.

• billsey

Glad I could help. :)