Helios 300(2019) PH315-52-71GD Clean Windows Install Only Option As System Possibily Corrupted?

Options
grbscorpio
grbscorpio Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi there,

I have some questions for anyone who can help.

After over 2 years of using my Helios 300, the other day I experienced a problem that has rendered it completely unusuable.

We had a power cut while in the middle of a system restore and it was going on for so long that the battery had ran out during the restore. As a result Windows won't start. Unable to reset, boot from a USB drive(that the store I bought it from gave me), so I'm pretty much stuck now. And I'm out of the warranty with Acer.

After talking to the support team(Which cost me to take out a plan) of where I bought it from, they said that if it can't be fixed, they may have to wipe the drives and do a clean install of Windows. Something, I thought was a good idea, as there would less apps and bloatware.

But then I thought about all the software preisnstalled on my Helios like Predator Sense, GeForce Experience and others that would be missing with a fresh install. Not to mention the hassle of installing everything manually, as I'm not very technical.

So, after looking on the forums, I came across this

https://store.acer.com/en-gb/e-recovery

Which has all the preinstalled apps according to your specific model.

OK, so here are my questions;

1. If they technicians can't do anything and have to wipe the drives(I have an SSD with Windows and an HDD with some files I've saved), can I buy the Acer Recovery Media and give it to them to install instead of a clean Windows install?

2. I saw forum user xapim say this regarding someone asking about a clean install on Helios 300 "or you can clean install it yourself via usb drive but bare in mind if you do this your acer recovery partition will be gone forever no possible recovery" Does this mean the partition will be added if they install the Acer Recovery Media after wiping?

2a. If not, what does it mean for me if there isn't an Acer recovery partition?

3. Being in this situation, is there anything else I can do to restore my laptop to exactly how it was when I first bought it?

Please forgive me if any of these questions seem obvious, but I don't really know about these things, which is why I'm asking here:)

Hope someone can help.

Link to forum post of the user I quoted:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/579189/will-clean-installing-windows-affect-my-helios-300-in-any-way

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

1 Before you buy a new erecovery, I suggest you make sure the recovery partition is still active:

a) access the bios and enable d2drecovery.

b) then press alt+f10 before the acer logo to access windows recovery.

2 When the user performs a cold install using a microsoft iso, the recovery partition is deleted. But there are two ways to reinstall windows provided by acer:

a) if the user has backup the operating system:

b) or if the user buys erecovery.

3 As I said before, enable d2drecovery in the bios and press alt+f10 before the acer logo.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • grbscorpio
    Options

Thank you for your help, I check the bios and d2drecovery was already enabled.

Got into Windows recovery via alt and F10 and unlike the previous menus, to do anything, like reset the PC, it had my account and had to enter my password. It still didn't reset, as it said it couldn't be reset.

Also tried system restore with 2 restore points and it started to try and restore the files, but then these error messages shows up.

And this is what happens when I switch it on.

So, from what I've said, is the recovery partition active? Or does it seem that e-recovery is the only way?

Regarding a backup of the operating system, when I first bought it, they(at the store) gave me a USB. But it looks like they made it themselves, as it doesn't have the Acer logo, so I'm not sure if it's just Windows 10 or an exact copy of everything that was preinstalled on my laptop.

So, do you think I should buy an e-recovery just to be sure?

At least that way, there won't be any doubts.

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options

You can get all the Acer applications and drivers from Acer Support site. Just choose your model number and that's it. Keep them in an external drive/USB pen drive. Clean install as per this guide: How to do a clean installation of Windows 11 | Windows Central. After clean installation, install all the drivers and apps you downloaded. You don't need to pay anything since this method works good as usual. Unless you get issues after doing this, only then I'd recommend going for that recovery drive.

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

Did you choose the option that cleans the drive?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • grbscorpio
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thank you guys for all your help. This post can be considered solved. I bought the Acer e-recovery USB and it arrived today. Did the alt+F10 thing and chose use device and it worked as intended, reinstalling the original image that was first shipped with my laptop. The USB the store gave me was useless, as when I tried to boot from it, it said that there was no option to boot from an external device. My laptop has now been restored to factory settings, as if brand new, so I'm very please about that.

Thank you again for all your help guys!

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options

Keep the recovery usb in a safe place.

Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!