E17 (ES1-711) not starting

Baff
Baff Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2022 in Aspire Laptops

I have an E17 (ES1-711) that has recently decided it no longer wants to start.

I have been through several options to try and get it to work including : power drain, change CMOS battery, reseat RAM and hard drive, replacement RAM.

All I get is a brief (one second) burst of action from the fan and DVD drive and then nothing. And then repeat a few seconds later.

At no point does the screen shows signs of life (I have also tried connecting another screen via HDMI without any improvement).

Is it destined for the big parts bin in the sky or is there anything else to try?

(edited the title to add model name )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

>>>At no point does the screen shows signs of life (I have also tried connecting another screen via HDMI without any improvement).>>>

Did you try pressing the FN+F6 & FN+F5 toggle switches to turn the lid & external screens on? If neither works and this happened suddenly for no apparent reason, it's likely the CPU overheated one too many times. Sometimes heralded by a few unexpected shutdowns. New mainboards are less than $90 with free shipping for this machine if you're willing to wait a few weeks for delivery. Google search keywords 'es1-711' 'motherboard' & 'aliexpress' for various vendor options. They often warehouse these older mainboards stateside so deliveries can be less than a week in some cases.

Jack E/NJ