Acer Aspire 5738 upgrade

Hi,

I have an old Acer Aspire 5738 laptop running Pop!_OS linux , whose specifications i have shared in the attached text file. It is in good condition though slow. I had recently upgraded the DDR3 4 GB RAM (800 MHz) to DDR3 8GB RAM (800 MHz) . I would appreciate it if some laptop hardware experts can guide me on how to further upgrade its Processor, Motherboard Chipset, HDD 320 GB (to an SATA-3 SSD or better) and also higher speed RAMs if it be affordable to upgrade it further (what brands are good, current prices, what i need to consider when upgrading parts etc).

Thanks.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,366 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

You have a Penryn Core 2 Duo processor and as long as you stay within that family you should be able to swap out to any of the others. You won't see a big difference in speed with a CPU swap though. The good thing there is they are so old that they should be cheap. :) You have already done the memory upgrade, which will help when running a newer OS more than the CPU will. The biggest improvement though is in the drive swap. Go to a SATA SSD, though SATA3 will still run at the SATA2 speeds of the motherboard. The motherboard itself is custom to fit the chassis, so you don't have options to drop a newer design in. Memory is the same, the speed is determined by the motherboard, so the ones you have are as fast as they get.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,366 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

You have a Penryn Core 2 Duo processor and as long as you stay within that family you should be able to swap out to any of the others. You won't see a big difference in speed with a CPU swap though. The good thing there is they are so old that they should be cheap. :) You have already done the memory upgrade, which will help when running a newer OS more than the CPU will. The biggest improvement though is in the drive swap. Go to a SATA SSD, though SATA3 will still run at the SATA2 speeds of the motherboard. The motherboard itself is custom to fit the chassis, so you don't have options to drop a newer design in. Memory is the same, the speed is determined by the motherboard, so the ones you have are as fast as they get.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SIFAR786
    SIFAR786 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for sharing this information. This is really helpful.