Bluetooth completely disappeared from Device Manager. Aspire A315-23.

furiousgeorge
furiousgeorge Member Posts: 4 New User
edited September 2022 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

I know this has been asked multiple times, but of all the questions I've seen asked, nobody seemed to come up with a solution. So, I'll ask myself and also state what I have done to try and resolve the issue. I went to Acer to get new bluetooth drivers. Put in my SNID and got my model, which is the Aspire A315-23. None of the drivers that were provided seemed to fix anything. I even upgraded to Windows 11 ( which I am not happy about ), tried all the drivers again and still nothing. I did have a USB yellow notification ( I forgot which one, and should have taken a screenshot so I could post it at least ) which I uninstalled and still nothing. Everything has been updated as far as I know. Before I updated to Windows 11, Bluetooth could be found in the Device Manager by checking the "Show hidden devices" option. But, after the update it no longer shows up. Running the troubleshooter tells me the laptop does not have bluetooth at all, and there is nothing to fix.

(Edited the title to add model name) 

Answers

• ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677

Hi @furiousgeorge

Then you can try to do a reset to check if that makes any difference.

Check the above link to do a reset.

NOTE: Make sure to backup all the data before the reset.

Hope it will help you in some way.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Often when a device disappears like that it's not due to the device itself, but how it's connected to the rest of the system. Bluetooth is handled either as a serial stream (so looks like a serial port) or a USB data stream (so looks like a USB port). On your Aspire A315-23 the Bluetooth looks like a USB 2.0 port. It sits on a USB host that also handles the USB 2.0 physical port and the USB 2.0 function on the USB-C port. Try removing and reinstalling the entries in the USB Controllers section in Device Manager to see if it reappears. When it was still showing the error, the error was likely something about bad data from the USB device which made it so the OS couldn't figure out what it was...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • furiousgeorge

I was already performing the reset from the first suggestion. After it completed, the USB error came back up. Bluetooth is still missing. I have a screenshot this time. I have tried to update and fix this several times, but nothing has worked. I'm not sure where I would go to pick up drivers for this issue either.

• billsey

"Device Descriptor Request Failed" shows the the data coming over that USB port is being garbled, so the system can't figure out what is attached. It's likely not the Bluetooth card itself, but an issue with the USB underlying drivers or in the HAL. Since you have done a full reset you don't really have anything to lose by deleting all though devices in that section, if given the choice delete the files as well, then reboot and let Windows reinstall them. Verify all five are there and the sixth, problematic one, shows up as the Bluetooth device. If that doesn't help the next step is a clean reinstall of the OS...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • furiousgeorge

So, I've been pretty busy the last few days and today I was going to get started on these suggestions. I needed to install drivers for my printer again before I did that, and when I went to check something for my printer in the task bar, the bluetooth logo was there again, which it was gone completely before. I opened it up and the whole thing is working again and recognizes that the laptop has bluetooth. I have not tried a single thing since you gave me some more suggestions and it seems to be fixed. Just thought I would pass it along incase there may be something else that is happening that you could use to help others with this issue.

• billsey

It is often the case that even a reboot will fix the issue, though more often it requires a reinstall of the USB drivers. Keep an eye on it in case it reappears...

• furiousgeorge

This may entirely be the issue, as I had rebooted after installing new printer drivers. I think it's a bit odd though that had done a complete reset to windows 10 and it still persisted, after several reboots. Thank you for your help!

• billsey

No problem, this issue has been recurring over several versions of Windows and doesn't seem to be tied to any specific hardware. I've seen it reported for most manufacturers and both Intel and AMD based systems. I think it's an issue with the hardware abstraction layer in Windows, but don't have a real good fix.