My Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 suddenly performance drop and fans inside my laptop went crazy and fast.

hols1k
hols1k Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Nitro Gaming

Hello, I have 1-year old laptop - Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 ( i5-11400H/32GB/512+1TB/W10 RTX3060 144Hz). Everything worked fine since November 2021. Last day I've wanted to play the game Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I've checked specification and I saw that my laptop should run it easily. So I've installed it and started this game. It was terrible, maybe 10 fps? And fans inside my laptop went crazy and fast. Then I thought - screw it, I will not play this game. Later this day, I wanted to play another game - Rocket League. I've played this game many times before and had 144 fps there. But now it's like 30-40 fps. Have somebody some idea? Help please.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer

Sounds like overheating. What GPU temperatures are you seeing. Should be less than about 85*C under gaming loads or it will throttle. Also battery must be near 100% charged and plugged in for maximum play time.

Jack E/NJ

• hols1k

Tinkerer

When playing Rocket League temperature hits 60*C and the battery is 100% charged and plugged in. I've also checked if games use Nvidia GPU and not Intel integrated one - and it is Nvidia. I would like to mention that FPS problem appears on the start of the game - there is 45*C and there are still 30-40 fps.

• ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677

Hi @Hols

You can try to do a reset to check if that makes any difference.

NOTE: Make sure to backup all the data before the reset.

Hope it will help you in some way.

• hols1k

Tinkerer

I would like to find some other solution before I make something that drastic like reset

• JackE

Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on in the box that pops up, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic restore point with a date stamp within the last few days?

Jack E/NJ

• hols1k

Tinkerer

I've already restored 1 week backward. The problem still appears.

• JackE

So are you sure the throttling started less than one week ago?

Jack E/NJ

• hols1k

Tinkerer

As I mentioned, I had no problems at all with my computer. The problem started the day I tried to play Tomb Raider - so like 2 - 3 days ago (I'm not sure if the situation with TR was the problem). The day before TR incident I've played Rocket League and other games easily without any problems.

• JackE

>>>>The problem started the day I tried to play Tomb Raider>>>

Please post a screenshot of TaskManager startup tab if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• hols1k

Tinkerer

Here it is

• JackE

>>>Shadow of the Tomb Raider>>>I saw that my laptop should run it easily. So I've installed it and started this game. It was terrible, maybe 10 fps? And fans inside my laptop went crazy and fast.>>>

This is still bothersome. How long did you let it run this way with fans going full speed and severe throttling? A minute? Longer? This behavior suggests GPU temperatures went well over the 86*C GPU red line during this period. Probably closer to 94*C.

Jack E/NJ

• hols1k

Tinkerer

I let it run going full speed for 5 minutes I believe. I'm not sure. Then I turned off my computer and it stayed OFF for 2 hours.

• JackE

When you open Device Manager, do any red or yellow warnings appear? If none, do you see two enabled GPUs in the DisplayAdapter folder? If nothing unusual, check for any changes made to Control Panel Power Plan or its advanced settings.

Jack E/NJ

• WIckedSIck
    WIckedSIck Member Posts: 58 Devotee WiFi Icon

Check your GPU and CPU temperatures with Nitrosense.

If it only happens in this particular game, then you should think of the game-sided solutions.

• hols1k

Tinkerer

I've checked Device Manager and see two enabled GPUs - any red or yellow warnings appear. What's more, I've also made sure if there were some changes made to Control Panel Power Plan - same here everything looks OK - "High Performance". The problem appears in every single game - fewer fps in every game so it's not the game-sided problem.

• JackE

>>>>Control Panel Power Plan - same here everything looks OK - "High Performance>>>>

Please post a screenshot of the box that pops up after clicking on the advanced settings in Control Panel Hi performance Power Plan.

Jack E/NJ

• hols1k

Tinkerer

Here it is:

• JackE

May sound counter intuitive but change GPU to medium performance and max cpu state to 90% on both battery and plugged in. Then shutdown. Turn it on and test again.

Jack E/NJ

• Zuhn21
    Zuhn21 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I got the i7 ver and facing the same issue. Any solution yet ?

• Lohengramm
    Lohengramm Member Posts: 1 New User

did you find any solution , it was working fine 2 or 3 days ago but then suddenly all my games are running on low fps , they were running smooth as f before idk what happened