How to find a layout-picture with descriptions of mainboard G45T-AM2 V:1.0 ?

Kuen
Kuen Member Posts: 190 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Bought this Aspire PC in 2008. Its OS was Vista. I added more memory capacity & installed Windows 7 Pro. 32b. in 2009. It's been running well since.  

Its power sw button located on the front right hand top corner is out of function again. I want to replace it with an outside power sw button. I did this on Acer T3-715 and had a very hard time because Acer modified the wirings.

How can I find a layout-picture with descriptions of mainboard G45T-AM2 V:1.0, please?

Thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

Here you go.

Jack E/NJ

• Kuen

Hello, Jack E.

Thank you.

Cannot find the Power SW socket on the above layout. Do you know where is it located, please?

Thank you again.

Kuen

• JackE

If you still have the mainboard in the original case, simply follow the front panel power switch wire to the mainboard connector.

Jack E/NJ

• Kuen

Thank you.

Yes, that is what I did but failed due to the wires are in between the walls. I would have to tear down the walls to find and trace the wires.

Thanks.

• JackE

What do you mean by walls? The color-coded wires from the front panel switch should lead to the same color-coded wire front panel LED connector #11 on the mainboard. I highlighted the mainboard switch connector on the layout below.

Jack E/NJ

• Kuen

Thank you very much, Mr. Jack E.

The walls.

The is a metal case. And the is a plastic cover on top and the front of the metal case. Inside the metal case, there are chambers for the hard drive and DVD drive. There are spaces or gaps between the metal care and the plastic covers. These spaces or gaps are small just enough to let the wires go through.

Color coded wires.

I cannot see color coded wires from the end of the on/off button. There are hidden between the plastic over and the metal case. Yes, I see the color coded wires, about 3 inches long, at the socket or connector end on the mainboard.

Number 11 connector of your layout.

The number 11 connector has 7 pairs of sockets. There is such a connector locate at the same position on the mainboard G45R AM2 V:1.0 in my Aspire Mxxxx, don't remember the model & can't find it, just know the mainboard is G45T AM2 V:1.0 labeled on the board, but it has only 5 pairs of sockets.

Are you sure the layout you posted above is of G45T AM2 V:1.0? It is not unusual that Acer products contain different components for different markets.

Really appreciate your kindness.

Kuen

• JackE

The layout is for the mainboard originally used in the Aspire M5700 desktop which should be the same. Perhaps you should remove the case and examine exactly what you have. If you have another model, perhaps you could reveal the number and we can check that one too. Slight mainboard production changes such as connectors might also be possible but not change the mainboard model or version number

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

If your on/off switch still works (sometimes) then unplug the computer and use an ohmmeter to see which pins short or sometimes un-shorts.

Some of the wires will be for the LED indicator.

Then move those wires to your new switch accordingly.

Before you transfer them, test them by momentarily shorting or un-shorting the wires.

You most likely need a momentarily push switch . Ebay may have your original assembly. Search ACER on off

• Larryodie

Shows at # 7 but same place as Jack E's shows.

All you need is a VOM to parallel your switch or possible just replace the switch or assembly via Ebay is simpler.

Pleas take a picture or your switch and post the model # of the unit.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,424 Trailblazer
    edited September 2022

The front bezel is removable, and from there you can see which wires go where.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kuen

Hi, Jack E.

Apologize for what I said above about Acer Aspire M5700's mainboard. There is a pin-and-plug connector, 5 pairs, located at the same location as #11 on the layout you provided, but the 5 pair connector on my M5700's motherboard G45T AM2 V1.0 is doubtful whether it is the Power SW connector, it might be the USB connectors or others.

I do not know. But is clear that the layout you provided is different front from what it actually is in my machine M5700.

• Kuen

"The layout is for the mainboard originally used in the Aspire M5700 desktop which should be the same. " You said.

There are 2 key words: ORIGINALLY & SHOULD. The layout you posted is the original motherboard as advertised and motherboards for M5700 should be the same but they are not as the product sells well on the market and production goes on. This is probably why the real motherboard in my M5700 is different from the original and the should.

• JackE

Yes, as I mentioned earlier. production changes are possible without notice but won't necessarily change the mainboard model version number. Nonetheless, the mainboard connector #11 for the front panel switch --- aka the Power SW socket that you originally couldn't find ---- should in fact still be located very near the front panel USB connectors #13 on the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie

Pins 6 & 8 on the F_Panel Connector are your on/off switch.

Pages 27 & Page 29 has your information.

Power Switch

Supporting the power on/off function requires connecting pins 6 and 8 to a momen-

tary-contact switch that is normally open. The switch should maintain contact for

at least 50 ms to signal the power supply to switch on or off. The time requirement

is due to internal de-bounce circuitry. After receiving a power on/off signal, at least

two seconds elapses before the power supply recognizes another on/off signal

• Kuen

Thanks, Jack E.

See this please.

Thanks.

The on/off switch is not on front panel, it is on the top panel which can not be removed so far.

• Kuen
  • JackE

Google search keywords m5700 disassembly aspire. Check the manuals library site. The plastic panel is likely pried off by using a wedge like a credit card or putty knife. Plastic panels are usually affixed with molded plastic hooks that pop into rectangular holes in the metal frame. You might break a few hooks off the panel but that's not a serious issue.

Jack E/NJ

• Kuen

Thank you.

The metal case of M5700 is interesting. There is a zinc plated metal case. On top of the zinc plated metal case, there is a baking painted metal sheet, same size & thickness as the zinc case, fastened to the top of the metal case by 4 screws, 2 on front end & 2 back end, and on top of this painted metal sheet, a plastic top panel about 2 cm thick & covers the front half of the top, with 4 USB ports, audio & mic and a compartment. "molded plastic hooks that pop into rectangular holes in the metal frame..." Yes, I thought about this, but could not find any place to wedge or pull it.

• JackE

>>>painted metal sheet,>>>fastened to the top of the metal case by 4 screws, 2 on front end & 2 back end,>>>

Can you access all 4 screws? Or is the plastic covering them?

Jack E/NJ

• Larryodie

Are there any labels or bumpers on the top as they may be hidden screws underneath ?