Aspire A515-56 my laptop started freezing and having weird visual glitches

Options
saddleupandride
saddleupandride Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2022 in Aspire Laptops

a few days ago my laptop started freezing, flashing black and then resuming normal operations every now and then

today it started happening every couple of seconds, and at once stage the screen was reduced to about a 2 centimetre strip at the top of the screen, the rest being black with splotches of rainbow, and green boxes.

The only thing I can think of is my graphics card (not sure if thats the correct term, to be honest, considering its integrated graphics) is dying, even though its not even a year old or my drivers are stuffed.

I've been unable to find the correct drivers anywhere. (I don't usually deal with drivers lol)

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

How does HDMI out to a TV screen appear when this happens?

Jack E/NJ

• saddleupandride

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    Options

I'm not sure, I'll test when im back from school, but after restarting it (which i did multiple times previously) it has stopped glitching, and I'm able to export from Video Editor now (which is another thing that I was unable to do before, but forgot to mention).

My other thought is it may be a dodgy connection, as it was jostled around a bit before it began working normally. The shop we got it from has directed us to ring up Acer, so I'm gonna do that when I get home also.

• JackE
    Options

Yes, either the LCD video cable connectors need to be re-seated at the base of the screen and mainboard or needs to be replaced due to wire or conductor breakage/cracks in the hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much. The only way to check these things out vs a problem with the GPU itself without opening the laptop, is if the HDMI TV screen seems to be OK

Jack E/NJ

• saddleupandride

Tinkerer

Options

@JackE

Just happened again. Computer went to sleep as I was connecting it to HDMI and it resumed normal operation. I suspect it may be related to the igpu, as my computer freezes when I switch between Discord and Chrome, or I open a new window.

• JackE
    Options

>>>Just happened again..>>>

What happened again? The laptop screen froze? The HDMI TV screen froze? Both froze at the same time?

Jack E/NJ