Acer Spin 5 SP513-54N-74V2 Screen Black issue.

Options
dlharr
dlharr Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

I have a SP513-54N-74V2 purchased in Aug 2020 so out of warranty. Lightly used

The screen is black. Never shows anything. I can connect to an external monitor and all works. I can even touch the black laptop screen and it shows on the external monitor.

I was flipping through pictures on a prospective condo I was looking to rent for vacation a couple months ago when the computer locked up. I plugged it in and rebooted. That's when black screen issue started. Took me a bit to figure out that was issue. Pressed a lot of different key combos. After search with my phone I figured out to try the external monitor. I've since tried the reset battery and reloading drivers. I tried the display options duplicate, extend etc. Best I can tell the system doesn't recognize the laptop's screens existence. I think its some thing stupid simple. I doubt hardware like flex cable since I treat it so gentle and only even flipped the screen all the way around a couple times.

Please help, I have a new need to take this laptop away from my desk.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz  1.50 GHz, 16.0 GB, 64 bit, Windows 10 Home 19044.1826 Installed 3/22/21, System Bios 1.09

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

Try toggling FN+F6 or FN+F5 to turn the screen on

Jack E/NJ

• dlharr

Tinkerer

Options

All modes from F5 just show on the external monitor. F6 appears to have no effect.

• JackE
    Options

LCD video cable probably needs to be reseated or replaced from wear & tear of opening and closing the lid too much. Doesn't matter how gently you think you are with the lid. Cables are prone to breakage in the crowded hinge area. In either case, the laptop must be opened up and screen bezel removed to access the video cable connectors to reseat them. Google search SP513-54N & disassembly for videos on how to do this for your model and/or closely related models.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

F6 or Fn-F6 should toggle the internal screen, at least it does on mine and I have the same model. If that does nothing then as Jack suggests it's likely the cable (or worse, the display itself).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dlharr

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for your advice. I am reluctant to open up the machine. I would like to confirm all software items are correct first.

Before I got errors about the BIOS. Today when I went to try it again to make sure I had the full message it worked. Now I have latest Bios 1.10.

How can I confirm I have drivers all correct. In Hardware manager under Display adapters it shows Intel(r) Iris(R) Plus Graphis (27.20.100.9079) and under Monitors it shows Generic PnP Monitor (10.0.19041.1151)

Is this what I should have? Shouldn't I have something listed for the laptop screen.

• JackE
    Options

>>>How can I confirm I have drivers all correct>>>

Simply open Device Manager. If you see no red or yellow warnings upon first opening Device Manager, the drivers should be all correct including the monitor folder which should show that you have a plug and play monitor screen.

Jack E/NJ

• dlharr

Tinkerer

Options

I opened up the laptop. Everything looked really good. No pinched or rubbed cable. I disconnected and reconnected both ends of the video cable. Screen still black. Put everything back together. Hoping the tape and routing will hold as good as before.

I tried the disconnect both batteries as well since the case was open. No luck there either.

• JackE
    edited September 2022
    Options

Replace the LCD video cable. Google search keywords "SP513-54N" "video cable" for vendors who ship to your location. About $35usd

Jack E/NJ

• dlharr

Tinkerer

Options

So you think that while I was rapidly clicking through pictures (not touching the screen) the cable failed which locked up the computer and froze the screen. Then when I forced a shutdown and Rebooted I got the black screen.

I'm not as techy as I used to be, can this cable cause that type of behavior.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

I think what you were doing at the time had little or no effect on the failure. Typically when one of those cables fails it's as you are moving the position of the screen in relation to the base. There are three things that can cause the black screen, a failed display, a failed cable and a failed motherboard. It's unlikely to be a failed motherboard since the external monitor works, but still possible if the failure is in the socket for the cable. That pretty much leaves the other two, and by far the cheapest option is a cable replacement. You might take it to a technician to see if they can test the display separate from the rest of the system, but that's likely to cost the same or more as the cable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

When you put a flashlight on the display, can you see some windows icons? Example:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dlharr

Tinkerer

Options

egydiocoelho,

No, the screen is still black no matter how I shine the flashlight.

billsey,

Sounds like the screen is the most likely candidate. I was not moving it at the time. It rarely got opened more than 100 degrees. Mostly used just once a week so no a lot of reps on the screen open/close.

JackE, billsey,

I get it. Try the cheapest thing first. Fortunately I took pictures of the part numbers for both cable and screen when it was opened up. I hope I can find a screen that can be returned if it doesn't fix the problem because I still have doubts that its a hardware problem.

• JackE
    Options

>>>>Try the cheapest thing first.>>>>

Heh-heh. Yes. Good luck. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dlharr

Tinkerer

Options

The cable finally came. Changed it out. Still no difference.

Anyone got any other things I can try? Some software setting we haven't checked.

If the only thing left to try is the screen, can I hook up the cable and trying it before completely reassembling. I would like to keep the case opening to a minimum and also if it still doesn't work I want to be able to return the screen.

• JackE
    Options

>>>If the only thing left to try is the screen, can I hook up the cable and trying it before completely reassembling.>>>

What? Does this mean you have another screen already?

Jack E/NJ

• dlharr

Tinkerer

Options

I would have to buy a replacement screen. Since they are expensive, if it doesn't work I would like to return it. I don't want to risk marring it during disassembly if I completely assemble it. As I have said before I really don't think that it is a hardware problem, but until it's ruled out I can't get anyone to make any other suggestions.

• JackE
    edited September 2022
    Options

>>>As I have said before I really don't think that it is a hardware problem, but until it's ruled out I can't get anyone to make any other suggestions.>>>

Then try a full erase-everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset. Turn the machine on and IMMEDIATELY press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10. If a facotry reset menu appears on either the internal screen or external monitor just follow the directions. A full factory reset is about the only way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue without access to special diagnostic equipment.

Jack E/NJ

• dlharr

Tinkerer

Options

Any suggestions for how to make it the easiest to get everything (installed software) loaded back up after.

• JackE
    Options

A full factory reset will automatically re-install all the drivers and software that originally was on the machine when you first acquired it.

Jack E/NJ