Acer Swift 3 SF314-512, Thunderbolt 4 won't work any idea how to solve this?

Options
shai711
shai711 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 8 in Swift and Spin Series

I have brand new swift 3 SF314-512 and im trying to connect it to thunderbolt 4 docking station.

When i connect it to the usb-c thunderbolt socket, the computer is bepping and charging for a sec and stop, then after sec do it again and again.

I tired to update the Bios the latest version, and it wasn't solve the issue, then i looked for thunderbolt controller driver in the support page of the product but there wasn't any

any idea how to solve this?

[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

What are the specs on the dock? Charging expects 20V 3.5A (65W) from the dock, and if the dock instead puts out, for instance, 15V it could act like that. You can have more than 65W, but you really want the full 20V.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • shai711

Tinkerer

Options

Im using dell wd22tb4 , the docking should support 130W charging

In addition, i download the Thunderbolt control center from the windows store and in the about it should find the controller version and in my pc its wrote N/A

• shai711

Tinkerer

Options

When i turn off the computer and connect it to the docking station it charge the it great

• billsey
    Options

I looked at the Dell product page for the WD22TB4 and it doesn't give any info as to the voltages provided for charging the laptop. If it is charging with the laptop off and not when the laptop is on it's not providing enough power... :(

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • shai711

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for your time, but its sound strange that the problem is that the docking station didn't give enough power because i connect it to a dell laptop that have power adapter of 65w 20v and it work fine.

• shai711

Tinkerer

Options

The only difference that i found between those 2 laptop was that in the dell when i open the thunderbolt control panel and move to the about section, there where thunderbolt controllers and its recognize the ports and in the acer there wasn't controller and the control panel wasn't shown any ports.

Its sound that acer have a problem to recognize the thunderbolt ports.

• billsey
    Options

Or that you haven't fully installed the drivers for the dock...

• siyu
    siyu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

same problem here.

swift 314-512 cant work with dell thunderbolt dock wd19tb. it keeps trying to connect, beeps and disconnect in a loop.

the work station works fine with dell latitude 5400, gateway gw14 and Asus tuf a15.

• h0va4
    h0va4 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

I am having issues with my eGPU not showing as a TB device. These should have TB ports since they have the lightning bolt.

I downloaded the Intel Thunderbolt Control Center and if you go to the about section it only mentions the software but does not mention the CONTROLLER - I have another laptop with TB4 ports and the TCC shows both software and TB controller versions.

• h0va4
    h0va4 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

I ended up downgrading to windows 10 and it works like a charm. It's easy to downgrade even if your laptop cam with 11.

• siyu
    siyu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I also downgrad to windows 10, but the same problem still happens.

I finally fixed the problem.

I switch to a smaller 65w power adapter to the dock and acer now recognize the dock station and connect it successfully. The old power adapter is a 180W one, probably it delivers too much power that the acer can't accept. My ohter laptops has no such problem through.

• atechie
    atechie Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

I think  a Tripp Lite brand model U421-20N-G2-RA Thunderbolt cable will also overcome this problem.

I have not tried this specific cable which is rated to carry 60 W, but I have used a Cable Matters brand 60 W cable, and that fixed this buggy SF314-512 power on-off cycling behavior for me.

• atechie
    atechie Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

For me, a Cable Matters brand 60 W certified Thunderbolt cable fixed this buggy SF314-512 power on-off cycling behavior that happens with 100 W certified cables. It's hard to find passive type 60 W Thunderbolt cables though. Most are 100 W.

ignore my note about the Tripp Lite model. I didn't realize that it is male to female. I am unable to delete that message.

• rien_t
    rien_t Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I also switched to a smaller 65W power adapter to my WB19TB docking station instead of its 180W adapter. Now all is working fine. Seems the Acer laptop can't handle the (too) higher offered power delivery. It might be a bug in the negotiation between the docking station and laptop.

Thanks @siyu for your suggestion. I spent many hours on attempt to fix my problem, I never would have come up with your solution. 👍️