Acer Swift 5 SF514-52T CPU throttles to 0.4 GHz when battery is removed

overture1928
overture1928 Member Posts: 2 New User

Purchased around 2018

Windows 10, Intel

Core i5 8250U

Lately my battery has had some trouble. Initially the battery would indicate being100% charged, but would only last for 30 minutes or so when unplugged from the adapter. The laptop was plugged in most of the time, but then one day I noticed it was stuck at 99%. After every couple days it would lose a percent even though it was plugged in all of the time. Eventually it got down to about 90%, so I decided to open it up and check out the battery. Well, it was kind of bulging, so I decided to remove it with the intention of purchasing a new battery later. It now says "No battery detected" in the bottom corner, but unfortunately it is very slow without the battery inside. It seems to be stuck at 0.4 GHz. Even on high performance mode with CPU min/max power at 100% in the advanced options it still is throttled at 0.4 GHz. Even though it doesn't have a battery in it, I performed a battery reset by pushing the power button for 15 seconds and the battery pin hole button for 5 seconds all while the laptop was unplugged, but still nothing. I also removed Intel TDP, but again, there hasn't been any change.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

A functional battery is needed because it must sometimes supplement the power adapter during high power demand. If the battery is not installed, the power adapter can't meet the power demand without help from the battery. The CPU & GPU will then automatically throttle to reduce power. You need to purchase a replacment battery. Simply google search the keywords "SF514-52T" & "battery" for vendors who ship to your location. Cost about $30usd.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,832 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

A functional battery is needed because it must sometimes supplement the power adapter during high power demand. If the battery is not installed, the power adapter can't meet the power demand without help from the battery. The CPU & GPU will then automatically throttle to reduce power. You need to purchase a replacment battery. Simply google search the keywords "SF514-52T" & "battery" for vendors who ship to your location. Cost about $30usd.

Jack E/NJ

• I agree with Jacke. But I also check if the problem continues by changing the power plan.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • overture1928
    overture1928 Member Posts: 2 New User

Dang, I was afraid that this would be the answer. I found a replacement and ordered it. Thanks.