Aspire TC-710 which BIOS updates should I install, if any?

Options
RLJ
RLJ Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello, I have a 5-6 year old Acer Aspire desktop and just did a new Win 10 install from an ISO using the MS Media Creation tool. Before, I had always used the Acer recovery USB that came with my computer. However, this time I decided to try a "cleaner" install without the old/outdated Acer and 3rd party bloatware that the factory USB loads on a new install. So, I have gotten here to the Acer website and entered my S/N and service tag which gave me the same list of drivers and BIOS firmware updates. My question is which BIOS updates do I install, if any?

I ran the "System Information" app, and here is what I got for BIOS info that is currently installed:

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. R01-A0, 10/8/2015

SMBIOS Version: 3.0

After typing in my S/N on here, this is the list of BIOS updates that it gave me:

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,350 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

With Win-10 its best that you have all the windows updates, Intel and AMD latest driver updates that is appropriate for your desktop, as these are updates that will make your old desktop function to its best and peak performance. I would update the bios update to the last available update for your TC-710, to the bios version R01-A3 that will assist your desktop to perform at its peak for this OS. This last update has got allot to do with memory, ID codes UEFI functionality for your desktop to make its bios be up to date and make your desktop function to its peak performance. Also make sure that your TC-710 desktop (see the Crucial System Scan results at that link) and that your desktop has adequate if not the max ram of 16GB (like 2x DDR3-1600 • CL=11 • NON-ECC • UDIMM • 240-pin • 1.35V • 2Rx8 • PC3-12800) ram and also upgrade to the 2.5"m SSD SATA III 6GB/sec type drives as a boot drive and also an upgrade of the gpu like and to a suitable gpu like the Radeon HD 7950 or the GeForce GTX 1630 to what this desktops OEM fitted Acer top spec gpu the NVIDIA GTX745 DDRIII 4GB ATX UE, as all of these components upgrades will also assist your desktop to function at its peak performance and best for Win-10.

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

With Win-10 its best that you have all the windows updates, Intel and AMD latest driver updates that is appropriate for your desktop, as these are updates that will make your old desktop function to its best and peak performance. I would update the bios update to the last available update for your TC-710, to the bios version R01-A3 that will assist your desktop to perform at its peak for this OS. This last update has got allot to do with memory, ID codes UEFI functionality for your desktop to make its bios be up to date and make your desktop function to its peak performance. Also make sure that your TC-710 desktop (see the Crucial System Scan results at that link) and that your desktop has adequate if not the max ram of 16GB (like 2x DDR3-1600 • CL=11 • NON-ECC • UDIMM • 240-pin • 1.35V • 2Rx8 • PC3-12800) ram and also upgrade to the 2.5"m SSD SATA III 6GB/sec type drives as a boot drive and also an upgrade of the gpu like and to a suitable gpu like the Radeon HD 7950 or the GeForce GTX 1630 to what this desktops OEM fitted Acer top spec gpu the NVIDIA GTX745 DDRIII 4GB ATX UE, as all of these components upgrades will also assist your desktop to function at its peak performance and best for Win-10.

• RLJ
    edited August 2022
    Options

OK, thanks. Just wondering, though, number(s) 4 & 5 on the list of updates above, R01-B1 and R01-B0 respectively, were released after R01-A3. Release date-wise, then wouldn't R01-B1 be the most recent? Do you know if it, as well as R01-B0, have everything in the updates before that (ie - R01-A3/4)? If so, then wouldn't the most recent update be the R01-B1, despite what the description reads and the order in which it is in the list?

• StevenGen
    Options

Yes the R01.B1 is the last dated bios but I gave you the most appropriate bios update as an example and if you do update to the last dated version R01.B1 it will also have all the updates of version R01-A3 included. Also sorry, I didn't look at the date as the last version R01.B1 should really be at the top of that bios list not 3rd from the bottom as its confusing as usually the latest bios versions are always at the top.

• RLJ
    Options

Right on man, thank you very much. I did some digging, and I am going to do the R01-A3 as the HDD freezing is one of the issues that I was having before the new install. I'll keep your upgrade suggestions in mind and may do some of them in the future. Unfortunately, money is really tight for me at this time.

So, I downloaded the R01-A3, but the instructions in the README file were pretty vague and outdated and pertained to Win 8, and also a bit sketchy .... yikes! I've googled on how to do BIOS flashing and I've learned that a person can easily brick their computer. I've read somewhere that bitlocker can cause issues while flashing BIOS. I guess you have to disable it ...?

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,453 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

I've heard that the A version and B version are for different brand of processors that is installed.

I would call Acer Support or read the Appendix of each.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Versions R01.BX is for a different motherboard revision. I agree with stevengen when he says the best option is to upgrade to version R01.A3.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,453 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

So if you have a "A" version Bios then stay with the "A". Is this statement true ?

• RLJ
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hey, a big shout out to StevenGen for all the help, as well anyone else commenting here. Right on you guys rock! OK, so I just did an update and the R01-B1 seems to be fine (first day, though). Now, I will say that this was very confusing to do as almost all instructions will be just having you download and click an .exe file. (I even scoured youtube also!). Let me just say that this BIOS update had to be done quite a bit different than all the other instructions available, because this one DOES NOT have an .exe file to just click on! (Shame on you Acer!). I was, however, able to find an old post on this site at this link:

Where can I get specific instructions for updating the BIOS on my TC-710???? — Acer Community

And a big shout out to JordanB who wrote that response, a BIG help in clarifying the almost cryptic and 'outdated/sketchy/unclear' (...?) ... instructions provided by Acer. His post IS the same info as in the Appendix .pdf that you download with the Acer R01-B1 BIOS zip file from this site, but where Acer failed to be clear on a few things, the poster, JordanB, filled in a few gaps and it was very helpful.

So, I will update here periodically to let you all know if there are any noticeable issues that going from an R01-A0 to the R01-B1 update causes.

... stay tuned!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Motherboards are similar, but not exactly identical. I don't advise upgrading from AX revision to BX revision.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)