My Helios 300 Battery Light Indicator turns purple, what should I do?

Options
Tadashi
Tadashi Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Whenever I opened my laptop, the 2 led lights for power and charging are both blue which is normal, but after sometimes the charging light turns purple which kinda bothers me a lot. If I drained the battery for like to 90% it backs to orange and when it reach 100%, after few minutes, the purple light will come back again and sometimes it’s blinking between purple and blue.

starting from this issue my laptop act weird that when its goes on sleep and I turned it back on by moving the mouse or pressing the keyboard, the keyboard light goes on but there is no display on the screen that’s why I have to force restart it.

Please help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Options

Normal behavior for LED when both the battery and charger must intermittently work together to meet CPU/GPU power demands. Usually occurs when battery charge level is between 50-100%. At some point below 50% charge level it will turn steady orange until it reaches 100% again then turn steady blue.

As for display sleep issue, does pressing FN+F6 turn display on after sleep?

Jack E/NJ

• Tadashi

Tinkerer

Options

Meaning, the purplish light is normal? I’ve tried playing games for 3 hours hoping it will turn steady blue but it’s not. It’s still purple unlike before it is usually blue and have no issue with it.

For the no display scenario, I notice that it only occurs when my laptop is not connected to a charger. But I will try this one and update you.

• JackE
    Options

>>>I’ve tried playing games for 3 hours hoping it will turn steady blue>>>

No. It won't turn steady blue until you stop playing heavy game load and let the battery charge back up to 100%.

Jack E/NJ

• Tadashi

Tinkerer

Options

The issue still persist. I checked the outlets and the charger and everything was fine. I already done power reset multiple times but this will only solve the issue for 1 minute at most then back on purple light again. Can it be a problem on mother board particularly on the charging area of it? I don’t think it’s a faulty LED since when I charge it it doesn’t blink on amber light. It only shifts to purple light intermitently when the battery charge is full. Any other than that, the laptop works fine. The purple light just bother me that it might have a problem on the mother board

• JackE
    Options

There is no problem with the LED or your mainboard. The purplish light is normal during heavy gaming plugged for the reasons explained earlier in this thread. The battery and charger are intermittently working together such that the blue and orange charge LEDs are rapidly turning on/off giving the illusion of purple. You are needlessly worrying about something that is normal when gaming plugged in between about 50-100% charge level.

Jack E/NJ

• Tadashi

Tinkerer

edited September 2022
    Options

I forgot to mention. The issue still persist even on idle mode and using the laptop for some basic surfing. I turned on the laptop first thing in the morning with 100% battery charge in it then just watch the indicator if it will turn purple. At first, I thought the issue was solve but after less than a minute without even touching the laptop it begun shifting to purple light again. I also notice as the time goes by the purple light become more frequent that there are times when I saw it turn purple constantly for 2 hours or so even though the only running application is 1 microsoft word.

• JackE
    Options

It is impossible to assess idle mode unless you are constantly monitoring CPU/GPU usage. This is because of many background Windows system processes and Defender scanning operations that can start and stop at any time without any input whatsoever on your part. You should stop fixating on and constantly worrying about purple LED color if your machine otherwise seems to be operating normally. There seems to be nothing wrong with your machine.

Jack E/NJ