Why do i have a message unknown driver on my Aspire A517-52G?

Twointje
Twointje Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 19 in Aspire Laptops

My Aspire A517-52G came with a NMVE M2 500GB SSD and 1 TB harddrive ,because my C drive (the NVME was getting full) i decided to upgrade my system with a Samsung NVME 980 Pro 1TB PCI 4 . Now my Samsung Magician is giving a error message inknow NVME driver, i tried everything to find perfectly working drivers for this M2 but no succes. Even wit Rapid mode i am onlt getting speeds of 2500MB /s,i have the same drive in my desktop on a Asus Rog STrix 590 motherbord that has up to 4 NVME slots and there i am getting speeds up tp 7000 MB/s.

Why is my Aspire A517-52G not finding the correct driver for this Samung NVME 980 Pro? pitty me spending so much money on this drive,the original 500 MB NVME was a brand i never hurd of and i was getting higher speeds with that drive.

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,611 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hallo Twointje, een landgenoot hier, The Samsung is a NVMe Gen4 4x4 SSD while the M.2 slot in the A517-52G is Gen3 3x4 so the Samsung will run at only half the rated speed around 3500 MB/s. The Gen3 Samsung 970 Evo, for the same price, has DRAM memory and will run at the same speed. Read about the benefits of having DRAM storage; if you frequently read and write to a SSD with DRAM it will be faster.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,341 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022

Your AN515-52G is not compatible with an M.2 PCIe 4 x4 as really its a waste of money (unless you intend using this PCIe 4 on another laptop/desktop) as you will never ever utilise its speeds) you should have bought the 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD as that is a PCIe 3 x4 that is more compatible drive but, the 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD PCIe 4 x4 M.2 drive should be backward compatible to a PCIe 3 x4 and should work on your AN515-52G's but its speeds would be never ever used and you should not be getting any errors especially with a Samsung M.2 SSD drive that are bullet proof and very reliable (I’ve used a Samsung SSD EVO 850 2.5:” drive for over 5 years daily and it’s the best drive I’ve ever used) get into contact with Samsung warranty in your area and enquire about this error code as Samsung 980 PRO drives have a 5 years or 600 TB TBW as this should not be happening.

Also remember that Acer originally only fitted to your AN515-52G as an OEM M.2 PCIe 3 x4 as their top of the line option drives like these M.2 drives and the “HYNIX HFS512G39TND[1] or the INTEL SSDPEKKW512G7” so match their specs and speeds as even the Samsung 970 Pro is an overkill for your laptop.

Btw, I'm using this Samsung 1TB 970 Pro PCIe 3 x4 on my AN515-56 and its a perfect and a great and speedy M.2 drive (as that is why I bought it) and it works 100% and I'm getting pretty good CrystalDiskMark benchmark speeds from this drive at Seq/Q32T1...Read 3600MB/s and Write 2300MB/s as your AN515-52G will never get these speeds and/or utilise the Samsung 980 Pro or 970 Pro M.2 full read/write speeds like a new laptop of the likes of the Nitro 5 AN515-56. Good luck and imo change the M.2 drive to a compatible M.2 that Acer fitted like above or with a modern M.2 drive like the WD AN570 PCIe 3 x4 read 3300MB and write 1200MB write as an M.2 drive like that would be much more compatible and work better on your AN515-52G. 

• Twointje

Tinkerer

Hello thank you for your answer ,but first i dond have a  AN515-52G  my laptop is a Aspire A517-52G and sinds this is a 2021 laptop i thought this is a PCIe4 because it has a Intel 11generation processor who is compatible with PCIe4.When i go to CPU-Z and then to mainbord i can see model Jasmine-TL V1.26 Bus specs : PCI-Express 4.0 (16.0GT/s) so this means my Aspire A517-52G is compatible wit PCIe4 and should have no problems with the Samsung NVME 980 pro,i have been searching all over the internet and it seems the samsung Magician software is not compaible with the Samsung NVME 980 pro, samung has not developed a specifick driver for this M drive like it has before for the 970 and 960 pro drive. So thats why i have that message in th Samsung magician software Unknown driver for the 980 pro. So sorry but it seems you are wrong because my laptop Aspire A517-52G is PCIe4 compatible. Thank you anyway for your help.

• Twointje

Tinkerer

This the picture of Samsung Magician saying Unknow NVMe driver for the Samsung 980 Pro.

• Twointje

Tinkerer

edited August 18

Hallo allemaal..Ik heb een Acer Aspire A517-52G-73FT en ik heb de NVME van Skhynix vervangen door een 1 1T Samsung 980 pro ,maar ik haal zelfs lagere snelheden met de samsung dan met de originele skhynix.

Ik kan nergens in de specs van deze laptop vinden of dit een PCI Express 4x4 is of een 3x4, zou dit graag weten zodat ik de juiste NVME kan bestellen

Hello everyone..I have an Acer Aspire A517-52G-73FT and I replaced the NVME from Skhynix with a 1 1T Samsung 980 pro, but I get even lower speeds with the Samsung than with the original Skhynix.

I cannot find anywhere in the specs of this laptop whether this is a PCI Express 4x4 or a 3x4, I would like to know this so that I can order the correct NVME

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,611 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hallo Twointje, een landgenoot hier, The Samsung is a NVMe Gen4 4x4 SSD while the M.2 slot in the A517-52G is Gen3 3x4 so the Samsung will run at only half the rated speed around 3500 MB/s. The Gen3 Samsung 970 Evo, for the same price, has DRAM memory and will run at the same speed. Read about the benefits of having DRAM storage; if you frequently read and write to a SSD with DRAM it will be faster.

• Twointje

Tinkerer

edited August 19

Hallo landgenoot.

I was wrong i have the NVME Samsung 980 and that is a Gen3 SSD ,but when i check with Samsung Magicion read speed is almost 3000 but write is just 570 MB.

There is something wrong i am thinking of hgetting the samsung 970 EVO plus gen3 but what if i dont have faster writing speeds?