Windows key/button acting like its always pressed (Helios 300 PH315-52-78vl)

Options
2»

Answers

• split
    split Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

Tried it and I let the battery use charge and re charge for a few days. Charge light is still doing the orange to blue to orange thing. Did it on September 15 and this is the result:

Also checked the keyboard ribbon cable, I noticed when I flashed a light behind the the pins on the left I saw there was a chip in it. I'm sure the two pins on the left is for the power button. Do you think this could be an issue?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

The battery report looks worse than earlier report. Did you uninstall all the drivers in Device Manager's battery folder and reboot?

Not sure about the keyboard connector and power button. But you said in your first post---

>>>My laptop keyboard thinks the windows key/button is always pressed down but not physically,>>>

>>>I can hold down the windows key (on the laptop or external keyboard) to temporarily disable it and the keyboard and mouse clicks would work and I can type normally (while pressing down the win key).>>>

So do you mean that pressing the WIN key acts like it's NOT pressed. And releasing the WIN key acts like it's pressed?

Jack E/NJ

• split
    Options

Yes I uninstalled all battery folder drivers and shut down without reinstalling anything like you said.

"So do you mean that pressing the WIN key acts like it's NOT pressed. And releasing the WIN key acts like it's pressed?"

- yes exactly. Like if I pressed L on keyboard even without holding down win key, it would go to lock screen like W+L. But if I hold down the WIN key it acts like its NOT pressed and won't register other win key shortcuts. And like I said before the keyboard would also register different keys without me pressing them (L, R, /, P, some others) and with the WIN key thinking its pressed down it would do combinations of Win key shortcuts like Win+R, Win+L, Win+P etc.

But now it's the power button that think its always pressed down. Thats why even if I just open the lid it would boot up, turn off, then boot up repeatedly. It won't go past the Predator logo, unless I hold down any key on the top row (F keys).

• JackE
    Options

How did you manage to generate a battery report with the keyboard acting this way?

Jack E/NJ

• split
    Options

When I did a full windows reset it fixed the windows key issue and the random keys pressed issue but changed to the powe button issue.

I did the first battery report (without uninstalling the drivers) with the keyboard disconnected and I used an external keyboard instead.

Still while the keyboard is disconnected, I uninstalled the battery drivers > shut down > connected the keyboard > opened the lid and still turned on by itself > I hold down an F key like F10 so it doesn't turn off > redo the test while holding down the F key.

I tried again uninstalling the drivers even with the keyboard connected and turning on and redoing the test with the F key trick and so far issue persists

• split
    Options

Accidentally pressed this as the answer and can't take it off.

-- Not sure about the keyboard connector and power button. But you said in your first post---

I just wanted to note that I've tried applying a small piece of tape that covers the two pins on the leftmost part of the keyboard cable and it disables the power button issue and it doesn't turn itself on anymore, it's just that I can't turn the laptop on without the power button. But I can turn on the laptop by placing a screw driver tip on the leftmost pins behind the keyboard connector. With this trick the laptop keyboard is working fine but the power button is of course disabled, the charging LED is also normal orange to solid blue.

• JackE
    edited September 2022
    Options

>>>I noticed when I flashed a light behind the the pins on the left I saw there was a chip in it. I'm sure the two pins on the left is for the power button.>>>>>>I just wanted to note that I've tried applying a small piece of tape that covers the two pins on the leftmost part of the keyboard cable and it disables the power button issue and it doesn't turn itself on anymore,>>>>

I'm not sure what we're looking here. Is this the end of the KB cable that plugs into the mainboard KB socket? Where's the chip?

Jack E/NJ

• split
    edited September 2022
    Options

Yes this is the keyboard cable that connects to the motherboard. I'm showing the pins at the end of the cable.

Here is a bigger view of the whole kb cable

And plugs into here, the kb socket

The chip I'm referring to are these:

It looks like the pins on the left are scratched off or something. The light flashed at the back is showing through a small chip on the pins. Notice how the pins on the right doesn't have them. It's not visible to the eye but I noticed it when I flashed a light at the back of the cable.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried repairing keyboard track? Example:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options

>>>It looks like the pins on the left are scratched off or something.>>>

Best to use a conductive ink pen from Amazon or similar vendor to try to rejuvenate those pins.

Jack E/NJ