ACER ATAB1021E 10": Screen rotation gone crazy.

Options
Sanairam
Sanairam Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2022 in Tablets

Hi,

My partner has an ACER ATAB1021E 10" tablet. It's 10 months old and has almost exclusively been used to manage Spotify.

Yesterday I tried to use it to surf the web.

I quickly became aware that there is something seriously wrong with the screen rotation (which is in enabled mode).

It changes between portrait and landscape mode completely random. Very often, it uses portrait mode when I hold the tablet in landscape mode, and the other way around. It shifts between modes so quickly that it is impossible to use the tablet.

My partner just sighs and says "It has been like that from the start."

What might be causing this, and how can we solve it? Should we return it to the store? It is still under warranty.

// Sanairam

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

Orientation G sensor is probably loose or defective. Either way, it has to be pried open to access. Inadvisable if still under warranty. Click this link, choose country where purchased, click support link at top of country page, enter serial number id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair.

Jack E/NJ

• Sanairam
    Options

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I have now informed the seller (Elgiganten, a large company in Sweden) that the tablet is not working properly.

They have instructed me to bring the tablet to their nearest shop, so that they can investigate the problem, and hopefully fix it (or replace the tablet with a new one).

I'm a little confused now, as to whether I should follow your instruction, or bring it to Elgiganten, as per their instruction.

I'm planning to go to Elgiganten tomorrow, so if by any chance you read this before then, please advice.

Kind regards,

// Sanairam

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Take it to your vendor...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sanairam
    Options

I did. Thanks.

• JackE
    Options

>>>I did. Thanks.>>>

Yes, very good. Sounds like you have a good vendor. The vendor will be much faster than warranty service! Please let us know if they fix it?

Jack E/NJ

• Sanairam
    Options

I completely forgot to update this thread.

So, first I e-mailed the vendor and described the problem. They replyed and asked me to bring it to one of their stores.

So I did that. The guy at the desk tried using the tablet, and confirmed that there was indeed a screen rotation issue.

So they sent it to their repair place for repair under the warranty, and said that it would take 1-4 weeks before I heard from them again.

Two days (!) later they sent me a text message reading: "Your device could not be repaired. Please visit our store to discuss alternative solutions."

So I went to the store again, and they told me that they tried to fix the problem but could'nt, and offered me a new tablet to replace the broken one.

I said yes, of course!

A week later I went back to the store and picked up the new tablet.

The funny thing is, that I now suspect that we/my partner actually caused the screen rotation problem ourselves.

The failing tablet was laying on top of a giant stereo speaker about 90% of the time, and a couple of weeks ago it suddenly struck me, that I read somewhere, that tablets/mobile phones/computers should not be stored on or close to a speaker for longer periods of time, since the magnets in the speaker might harm the device.

😁

I don't know for sure if the speaker was the cause of the problem, but we are now making sure to keep the new tablet far away from any speakers, just to be safe.

// Sanairam

• JackE
    Options

Thanks for reporting back. You have a very good vendor indeed!

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, better safe than sorry. The magnets in speakers can be very large.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.