Swift SF315-52-52YX- Clone and Replace 1TB HDD and 16GB Optane with 1TB NVMe SSD

kch
kch Member Posts: 2 New User

I want to replace the HDD and Optane in a Swift 3 with a Crucial NVMe SSD. Ideally I want to start by removing the 16GB memory and plug in the 1TB NVMe SSD, then clone the HDD to the SSD, then finally, boot off the SSD (and leave the HDD where it is for cloning/backup/more disk purposes).

But I'm struggling to switch off Optane. When I disable Optane in Rapid Storage Technology, it (a) takes forever and (b) leaves the laptop running incredibly slowly and unresponsive (it takes minutes to open/close things). And then when I turn off RST and go to ACHI in the BIOS, I can't boot from the 1 TB HDD.

Is it possible to do what I want (disable Optane, install the NVMe SSD where the Optane memory was, clone the HDD, change the boot device) ? If it is possible, what exactly do I need to do/not do, and in what order ??

Thanks.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,186 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

You need to disable optane memory first, see: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Then restart windows! Then go to power options and disable fast startup:

Then disassemble the laptop, unplug the lition battery, unplug the optane memory, plug in the new ssd and plug in the lition battery, in that order! What is the exact model? Example SF315-55-58VH.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓

You need to disable optane memory first, see: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Then restart windows! Then go to power options and disable fast startup:

Then disassemble the laptop, unplug the lition battery, unplug the optane memory, plug in the new ssd and plug in the lition battery, in that order! What is the exact model? Example SF315-55-58VH.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • kch
    kch Member Posts: 2 New User

Model is SF315-52-52YX

Great, thanks for those steps.

Second time around things went a lot better. Disabling Optane took seconds, and after rebooting, the laptop was slow, but much faster than when I tried the first time. I switched off fast startup in the power settings, swapped the NVMe SSD for the Optane memory, restarted, and hey presto, I could see the SSD in device manager. I made no changes to the BIOS.

To make the SSD appear as a disk in My Computer/File Manager, I ran diskpart from cmd, then ran:

list disk

select disk 1

clean

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

I'm now in the process of cloning the HDD using Macrium Reflect...

• Commodore_1995#
    edited August 2022

the cloning complete successfully?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer