Acer Nitro VG270UP 4k downscale to 1440p

Options
Simple_Pleasur3
Simple_Pleasur3 Member Posts: 1 New User
I'm planning on buying Chromecast Ultra and use it on my monitor. I'm just wondering if the VG270UP supports 4k downscale.

Thanks

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I'm planning on buying Chromecast Ultra and use it on my monitor. I'm just wondering if the VG270UP supports 4k downscale.

Thanks
    The Acer Nitro VG270UP specs say that this monitor has 2x HDMI®-in ports (v1.4 to v2.0 specs) and 1x DisplayPort v1.2a specs, HDMI v2.0 specs are quoted as up to 18Gbps throughput ports but realistically they "ARE NOT" as the real HDMI v2.0 limit is at 10.2Gbps throughput port. Read the "Stream 4K Ultra HD content with Chromecast Ultra" as Chromecast Ultra requires a HDMI port that supports HDCP 2.2 (for full utilization of this signal and features, if you want that?) and 60 frames per second (60 FPS). Note: If you're using an AVR or soundbar, those will also need to support HDCP 2.2.

The problem is that anything with HDMI 2.0 will support HDCP 2.2 but its limited to the above specs, the HDCP 2.2 standard is all about protecting 4k content. That means if you want to stick with 1080p for the time being, you don’t have to worry about HDCP 2.2. If you do want 4k content, every device in your video chain must have HDCP 2.2. This will be true in the future where content will be HDCP 2.2 encrypted. Non-2.2 encrypted content will not apply.

Research has shown that there are no devices currently offered that have both a full HDMI 2.0 implementation and HDCP 2.2 implementation. Right now, if you have HDMI 2.0 on the specification sheet which is a 18Gbps throughput port meaning that you can realize all the additional benefits of HDMI 2.0. But they don’t have HDCP 2.2 so future content may or may not be limited. On the flip side, some new AV receivers are listed with HDCP 2.2. What they aren’t telling you is that the HDMI 2.0 implementation is limited to 10.2Gbps (just like HDMI 1.4). While allot of HDMI 2/20 products quote that they allow to pass the HDCP 2.2 handshake, it will limit how much data can be passed, negating many of the benefits of HDMI 2.0.