[ Aspire A515-51G V2.02 ] Laptop not turning on when the lid is open

strawhat
strawhat Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

My laptop powers off after passing the Acer boot logo when the laptop's lid is up.
It works fine if I keep the lid closed and use an external monitor.

I can get into the boot menu by pressing Esc+F2 and the laptop will work as intended for the time being but as soon as I leave it, it powers off :(

Any ideas on what might be causing it?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power button do' in left pane. Change 'when I close lid' option to do nothing on battery and plugged in.

Jack E/NJ

• strawhat

Tinkerer

HI @JackE ,

Tried but the result is still the same :(

Also, as I mentioned, It's not like a proper shutdown...rather it's like a power cut.
    (also, I am using my laptop with charger only and disconnected the battery if that helps )

• JackE
    >>>(also, I am using my laptop with charger only and disconnected the battery if that helps )>>>

Aye! Why are you doing this? This is definitely not recommended. Most new laptops won't boot properly without a functional battery installed?

Jack E/NJ

• strawhat

Tinkerer

HI @JackE ,

Why are you doing this?

I have to reset my laptop's battery before turning it on every time. Since I now use my laptop with an external monitor, it's not very feasible to disconnect all the wires, reset the battery with a pin, and then put it all back together every time I turn on my laptop :(

• JackE

>>>I have to reset my laptop's battery before turning it on every time.>>>

This suggests a more serious issue. You need to re-install the battery pack so we can run tests to try to track down the problem. We cannot do this test without a battery pack installed.

Jack E/NJ

• strawhat

Tinkerer

edited August 2022

Hi @JackE ,

You need to re-install the battery pack so we can run tests to try to track down the problem

Hmm, It seems to have stopped for now. I am not able to reproduce the simultaneous blink anymore :)

I'll get my new SSD within a day or two. I'll try to run some games and see how it reacts under that much load.

• strawhat

Tinkerer

Hi @JackE ,

I'll try to run some games and see how it reacts under that much load.

So I tried two games and none of them caused the simultaneous blink :")

• JackE

Sounds good. Let's hope it stays that way. 🙂

Jack E/NJ