Acer Predator Triton 500 PT516-51s-98E0. with Windows 11 - Device Manager - Rename Device

Options
Great_Iskander
Great_Iskander Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited August 2022 in Predator Laptops

Dear Acer Community,

I have recently updated the BIOS Version (Insyde Software - Firmware - 5.43.1.7) on my Acer Predator Triton 500 PT516-51s-98E0.

Following this procedure, it seems like all Device Drivers have been reinstalled.

This has led to unwanted changes to the Device Names, with numbers being added in the front.

For example, “Haut-parleurs (Realtek(R) Audio)” changed to “Haut-parleurs (2- Realtek(R) Audio)”. This seems to have affected only my Audio Devices.

I wish to revert to the original Device Names.

Modifying the FriendlyName of the Driver under the Windows Registry Editor does not do the trick, as all modifications are lost after rebooting.

The Device Name seems to be hardcoded inside the “Bus reported device description” Property. This value is not updated after performing modifications to the Windows Registry Editor.

Could anyone help me with this, please?

Cheers,

Great_Iskander

( edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I have recently updated the BIOS Version>>>

BIOS firmware updates are usually meant for systems that are not functioning properly. Otherwise they should not be applied due to the risk of causing undesirable side effects or worse. And they should be considered irreversible because the risk is even higher of damaging or corrupting the BIOS chip and disabling the machine by trying to revert to an earlier BIOS version. What function or problem were you trying to fix with this firmware update?

Jack E/NJ

• Great_Iskander
    Great_Iskander Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for your kind reply, but this does not answer my question.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I wish to revert to the original Device Names.>>>

If caused by the BIOS update, we can help you try to reverse it. If you want to continue experimenting with the Windows registry, I suggest that you sign up and register on the Windows forums like the WindowsClub for changing names or download the Ultimate Windows Tweaker tools to help you do this.

However, if it was mine, I would not care what the device names were as long as they were working properly. But it's not mine. So you have to make the decision. Either try to reverse the BIOS update with help from here. Or continue trying to change the names using the registry mods with help from the Windows forums or Tweak tools.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    Options

Where did you get this "Insyde Software - Firmware - 5.43.1.7" version from? Don't tell me you got it from Windows Update? As and if you would have read allot of forum topics on this subject, then you would have learned that these so called Insyde Software - Firmware" flashes either don't work or have bricked allot of Acer laptops, as that is why you are having these problems as they are NOT an official Acer bios update as the last Acer approved Predator Triton 500 PT516-51s bios update is the "1. Update MCU - version 1.07" and the official bios updates are the only ones that all users should ONLY update their bios's to! What I suggest is that you flash the bios to the official Acer Predator Triton 500 PT516-51s bios version 1.07 but and as you know, be very careful as you need to take all appropriate pre bios flash precautions when flashing a bios.