Acer Z3-605. Replaced motherboard and now computer won't boot

Sylvirr
Sylvirr Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Long story short, I replaced my motherboard with THE EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD, because there are things in the hard drive I really want to keep. The motherboard seems to be working, getting power, computer is actually turning on, but it just goes to a black screen. No Acer logo, no bios. I'm getting one beep when it powers on, nothing else. All lights are working, screen is clearly getting power, fan is running. Did I install the motherboard improperly? And I made a backup disc of both windows 7 and windows 8.1 using my original stuff, but it's not running discs to even get it to boot that far.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Did the old mainboard behave the same way?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Was the replacement MB used or new? Is there a chance it was a bad one?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sylvirr

Tinkerer

the Old motherboard had a short in it somewhere, I couldn't afford to get it fixed.  But when it DID turn on, it worked fine. This motherboard is a used one, but it said it was tested to work. Closer inspection reveals that it's missing a few teeny tiny things on it. It doesn't have the HDMI-input that the original board has, and there's one or two teeny inaccuracies. I'm starting to get disheartened lol
  • JackE
    >>>Old motherboard had a short in it somewhere, I couldn't afford to get it fixed.  But when it DID turn on, it worked fine. >>>

How do you know it was a short? A short often releases smoke or at least burned odors. Intermittent issues are often due to bad solder joints that might be fixed with a simple solder reflow in a toaster oven.

Jack E/NJ

• Sylvirr

Tinkerer

I took it to a computer repair shop and asked them to look at it. I couldn't afford to get it fixed, but I could afford to get it diagnosed.

• JackE

>>>but I could afford to get it diagnosed.>>>

And was "a short in it somewhere" was their diagnosis?

Jack E/NJ