How To Get Past The BIOS Password AN517-54-79L1

JerryC1958
JerryC1958 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited August 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Trying to look at BIOS on my new laptop and it keeps asking for a password.  I have never been in BIOS on this laptop so, obviously, I have never set a password.  How do I get to BIOS?

I am running Linux Mint 21

( Edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    You must ask the vendor/seller who sold you the machine.

Jack E/NJ

• Are you sure you didn't assign a password in setsupervisorpassword?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JerryC1958
    edited August 2022
    I am positive I didn't assign a password.  This is a new machine and I didn't try to get into BIOS until the day I wrote the original post.  I was hoping there is a default password.

JC
  • JackE
    You must ask the vendor/seller who sold you the machine.

Jack E/NJ

• JerryC1958
    I bought the laptop from Amazon.  What phone number do I call?

JC
  • What is the exact model? Example AN515-55-57VH.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JerryC1958
    The model number is AN517-54-79L1.

Thank You for your help

JC
  • JackE
    >>>I bought the laptop from Amazon.  What phone number do I call?>>>

Amazon usually uses concessionaires or outside vendors who sell on the Amazon site. The vendor would be listed on the Amazon webpage that you ordered it from. There are dozens vendors, Amazon webpages in various countries and regions so it's difficult to guess which one you used and give you a phone number. Perhaps if you can post a link to the Amazon webpage that you used to buy it would be helpful. I'm beginning to suspect that the unit you got on Amazon may be a vendor's RMA that was previously sold and returned to stock. It happens. I doubt you'll have too much trouble getting it squared away since it was sold under Amazon's banner. Amazon should step in if the vendor isn't responsive.

Jack E/NJ

• JerryC1958
    I got hold of Amazon Product Support. If I had left Windows on this machine there is a utility available to clear the password.  They sent me a link to download the utility to see if I can get it to run on Linux like I do some other Win programs.  Can't find the utilities.  I did find instructions how to open it up and remove batteries for an hour, so I will try that this weekend.
  • JackE
    Doesn't matter. You should try to register the machine's SNID with ACER anyway. If registering it succeeds, you should be able to get support from ACER directly. If it fails to register, this suggests the machine was already registered by someone else.

So, go to this link. Choose your country. Click support near the top of the country page. Enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) and try to register it. if it fails, then you should be able to use the chatline if the SNID is still under warranty to resolve the BIOS access problem.

Jack E/NJ

• JerryC1958
    I opened up the machine and didn't see anything that looked like a battery, so I unplugged the largest black rectangle I saw and the clock battery.  I waited an hour and a half and put it back together.  Started up and it still wants a BIOS password.  Is there a picture somewhere that shows where stuff is under the cover?

JC
  • JackE
    You shouldn't be doing this since it might adversely affect the warranty.

You should first try to register the machine's SNID with ACER. If registering it succeeds, you should be able to get support from ACER directly on the same page with the chatline or phone number provided. So, go to this link. Choose your country. Click support near the top of the country page. Enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) and try to register it and Acer customer service support. http://www.acer.com/worldwide/

Jack E/NJ