My laptop crashes.. i dont understand it

Denneice
Denneice Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi, i have Acer nitro 5. It has a intel i5 7th gen, nvidia geforce gtx 1050 w 8 gbs ram. 

Whenever im playing medal of honor warfighter it started give me this stack based buffer overflow error. I dont know what caused it but it happened now while playing star wars empire at war (w mods) too. 

After the crash and when receiving the error notification, my laptop starts up discord out of no where as well as some other basic acer applications and also dolby audio.. 

My cousin gave me this laptop and he is pretty good w computer stuff and he told me all the drivers were not to be touched. (Assuming they are up to date cuz of this, but tbh ion even know how to check)

All i did was an automatic windows update and started playing mohw

Anyone have a clue where to start??

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    Denneice said:
    Hi, i have Acer nitro 5. It has a intel i5 7th gen, nvidia geforce gtx 1050 w 8 gbs ram. 

Whenever im playing medal of honor warfighter it started give me this stack based buffer overflow error. I dont know what caused it but it happened now while playing star wars empire at war (w mods) too. 

After the crash and when receiving the error notification, my laptop starts up discord out of no where as well as some other basic acer applications and also dolby audio.. 

My cousin gave me this laptop and he is pretty good w computer stuff and he told me all the drivers were not to be touched. (Assuming they are up to date cuz of this, but tbh ion even know how to check)

All i did was an automatic windows update and started playing mohw

Anyone have a clue where to start??
    If you don't know what to do or have no experience with a "stack based buffer overflow error" then get your cousin to fix this as the fix is explained on the Microsoft site "Error: stack-buffer-overflow" so get your cousin to follow those steps to fix your laptop. If you can't then you have these choices, so check all these steps and see this link:
    1. Scan Your Computer for Virus or Malware
    2. Run SFC And DISM Command
    3. Clean Boot the Computer
    4. Perform System Restore
    5. Try Startup Repair
    6. Back up Data and Reinstall Your Windows
  • Denneice
    Denneice Member Posts: 3 New User
    My cousin lives on the other side of my country so that rly isnt an option
  • ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677
    Hi @Denneice

You can try to do a BIOS reset to check if that makes any difference.

How do I reset my BIOS/UEFI to default settings?
    1. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, or until your system shuts completely down.
    2. Power on the system. 
    3. Press F9 and then Enter to load the default configuration.
    4. Press F10 and then Enter to save and exit.
    If that doesn't work then you can try to do a reset to check if that makes any difference.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5#WindowsVersion=Windows_11

Check the above link to do a reset.

NOTE: Make sure to backup all the data before the reset.

Hope it will help you in some way.