Why am I s my Acer Nitro XZ272U monitor capped at 60hz?

Apellonia
Apellonia Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2022 in Nitro Gaming
I am using a Acer Nitro XZ272U monitor
I am using display port.
Why am I not getting the full 165hz?

I am running duel monitors, but have set the Acer to be my main display. My other monitor is a 4k 60hz Samsung.

PC Specs:
GTX 1660TI
Ryzen 7 3600x
ROG Strix Asus x570 I gaming
ram 16ddr3

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    The Asus DP output port to an external monitor might  not be able to deliver or guarantee more than 60Hz even though the 1660ti GPU is capable and/or the DP output ports only works with certain high refresh rate monitors. Check with the Asus forums on if they have a refresh rate table similar to what Acer has for their laptops such as shown below.   In other words, the rates could very well depend on and vary with the brand and model number of the external monitor the Asus is connected to.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    Apellonia said:
    I am using a Acer Nitro XZ272U monitor
    I am using display port.
    Why am I not getting the full 165hz?

I am running duel monitors, but have set the Acer to be my main display. My other monitor is a 4k 60hz Samsung.

PC Specs:
    GTX 1660TI
    Ryzen 7 3600x
    ROG Strix Asus x570 I gaming
    ram 16ddr3
    If you look at the "HOW TO SET UP YOUR MONITOR AND PC FOR HIGH-REFRESH-RATE GAMING" on the Asus site then you have an exact guide of how to connect a monitor. This is the specific guide on your problem so read and follow the Asus guide.

Maximizing variables

Variable refresh rate monitors introduce a new wrinkle to the problem of optimizing your whole gaming rig for high refresh rates, though. It used to be that monitor refresh rates were static. Once you set 60Hz or 120Hz, the monitor would refresh that many times per second, no matter what. The stream of frames from your graphics card doesn’t usually mimic that behavior, though. A GPU might render 100 FPS as you jog through a post-apocalyptic landscape, and then suddenly drop to 40 FPS when a horde of space zombies descends upon your location. Those dramatic fluctuations can result in jarring artifacts like the tearing we mentioned earlier.

Variable refresh rate technology circumvents this problem entirely. A monitor with AMD FreeSync or NVIDIA G-SYNC performs its refreshes in tandem with the graphics card’s output, so there is no mismatch between them. The monitor only updates when a new frame is ready to display, giving you a heightened perception of smoothness and none of the ugly compromises imposed by a fixed-refresh screen.

Because variable-refresh-rate screens march in lockstep with the graphics card, though, you might actually miss out on the benefits of a high-refresh-rate panel if the rest of your system isn’t up to snuff. Static 120Hz or 144Hz screens will always run at their fastest, so even if those screens show the same frame multiple times per second—as they would if a game was running at 60 FPS—they can still deliver a smoother perceived experience. If you buy a G-SYNC monitor with a 100Hz refresh rate and your game of choice can only run at 40 FPS with your graphics card, though, the experience will still be tear-free, but the net result is like having a perfect 40Hz monitor. To really enjoy high-refresh-rate FreeSync or G-SYNC screens at their fullest, you’ll want to check that your graphics card can push as many frames as possible with the titles and settings you prefer to play.