Samsung 980 pro didn't show up as boot device Helios 300

TerryC910TerryC910 Member Posts: 6 New User
Hi all, I am not sure if someone has the same issue as me here. I just replaced the m.2 to Samsung 980 pro as PCI4.0, not showing as boot device?
and then I added the old m.2 back to the PCI3.0, then it shows both boot devices ( I have to choose from windows 10 and windows 11), but if i take off the old M.2 from PCI3.0, it shows 0 boot device. I can't load windows 11. any ideas? 

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-748Y

FAQ & Answers

• StevenGenStevenGen ACE Posts: 4,028 Pathfinder
    edited August 6
    TerryC910 said:
    Hi all, I am not sure if someone has the same issue as me here. I just replaced the m.2 to Samsung 980 pro as PCI4.0, not showing as boot device?
    and then I added the old m.2 back to the PCI3.0, then it shows both boot devices ( I have to choose from windows 10 and windows 11), but if i take off the old M.2 from PCI3.0, it shows 0 boot device. I can't load windows 11. any ideas? 

Adding a new main boot drive like the Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4 with Win-11 does not work like you have done? Do you want a dual boot drive of Win-10 and 11? As your 980 Pro with the Win-11 to be a boot drive needs its specific "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" installed to be recognised, have you installed this driver? 

IMO the best installation is to do a "Clean Install" and a complete format through the installation with the Win-11 installation onto your new M.2 980 Pro drive, and as in your case do this:

1. Boot into Win-10 OS through the old M.2 (while the new 980 Pro M.2 drive is installed into the laptop) 

2. Then go to Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Click on “Restart now” > after your PC reboots, you'll see a blue background menu containing options like “Continue”, “Troubleshoot”, and “Turn off your PC”. Click on Troubleshoot > Click on “Advanced options” > Select “UEFI Firmware Settings” to finally enter your computer BIOS 

3. Boot into the Win-11 USB installation USB and proceed with the Clean Install" installation. 

4. Format the 980 Pro drive completely

5. When the installation doesn't proceed install the "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" for your "PH315-54-748Y laptop to accept the Win-11 installation and then proceed with the installation and System Activation processes. 

This is the way to install a Win-11 onto your new drive and whatever way you have done the Win-11 installation onto this 980 Pro M.2 drive is wrong and that is why its not being recognised,  

• TerryC910TerryC910 Member Posts: 6 New User
    StevenGen said:
    TerryC910 said:

Adding a new main boot drive like the Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4 with Win-11 does not work like you have done? Do you want a dual boot drive of Win-10 and 11? As your 980 Pro with the Win-11 to be a boot drive needs its specific "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" installed to be recognised, have you installed this driver? 

IMO the best installation is to do a "Clean Install" and a complete format through the installation with the Win-11 installation onto your new M.2 980 Pro drive, and as in your case do this:

1. Boot into Win-10 OS through the old M.2 (while the new 980 Pro M.2 drive is installed into the laptop) 

2. Then go to Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Click on “Restart now” > after your PC reboots, you'll see a blue background menu containing options like “Continue”, “Troubleshoot”, and “Turn off your PC”. Click on Troubleshoot > Click on “Advanced options” > Select “UEFI Firmware Settings” to finally enter your computer BIOS 

3. Boot into the Win-11 USB installation USB and proceed with the Clean Install" installation. 

4. Format the 980 Pro drive completely

5. When the installation doesn't proceed install the "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" for your "PH315-54-748Y laptop to accept the Win-11 installation and then proceed with the installation and System Activation processes. 

This is the way to install a Win-11 onto your new drive and whatever way you have done the Win-11 installation onto this 980 Pro M.2 drive is wrong and that is why its not being recognised,  

It's been a month, and I think I just remember what I did. I can't install the windows 11 on 980 pro even if I installed the IRST driver. it shows up the harddrive but after reboot, it won't finish the installation. Because everytime it reboots, my laptop can't find the harddrive, and it will keep loading the win 11 usb again, it will start from beginner again. But it will allow me to do that if I boot with the old M.2 together, and it did finish installed win 11 on 980 pro last month. Today, I just want to remove the old M.2 ( because I don't want or need this old one ) and then I just noticed it won't boot to windows. because it won't find boot device.

But I didn't do your step 2. I will give it a try. thank you

• Ka3EeMKa3EeM Member Posts: 8 New User
    I think i have the same problem as yours .

I have bought Crucial P2 1 TB and it doesnt work at all . If i switched the slots with old m.2 kingstone 

The Crucial will get identified and kingstone will not . And i will be stuck on No Bootable Device cause bios doesnt recognize the m.2

Please if you have an answer help me