Samsung 980 pro didn't show up as boot device Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-748Y

TerryC910
TerryC910 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops
Hi all, I am not sure if someone has the same issue as me here. I just replaced the m.2 to Samsung 980 pro as PCI4.0, not showing as boot device?
and then I added the old m.2 back to the PCI3.0, then it shows both boot devices ( I have to choose from windows 10 and windows 11), but if i take off the old M.2 from PCI3.0, it shows 0 boot device. I can't load windows 11. any ideas? 

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-748Y

[Edited the thread to  add  model  name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,866 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    TerryC910 said:
    Hi all, I am not sure if someone has the same issue as me here. I just replaced the m.2 to Samsung 980 pro as PCI4.0, not showing as boot device?
    and then I added the old m.2 back to the PCI3.0, then it shows both boot devices ( I have to choose from windows 10 and windows 11), but if i take off the old M.2 from PCI3.0, it shows 0 boot device. I can't load windows 11. any ideas? 

Adding a new main boot drive like the Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4 with Win-11 does not work like you have done? Do you want a dual boot drive of Win-10 and 11? As your 980 Pro with the Win-11 to be a boot drive needs its specific "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" installed to be recognised, have you installed this driver? 

IMO the best installation is to do a "Clean Install" and a complete format through the installation with the Win-11 installation onto your new M.2 980 Pro drive, and as in your case do this:

1. Boot into Win-10 OS through the old M.2 (while the new 980 Pro M.2 drive is installed into the laptop) 

2. Then go to Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Click on “Restart now” > after your PC reboots, you'll see a blue background menu containing options like “Continue”, “Troubleshoot”, and “Turn off your PC”. Click on Troubleshoot > Click on “Advanced options” > Select “UEFI Firmware Settings” to finally enter your computer BIOS 

3. Boot into the Win-11 USB installation USB and proceed with the Clean Install" installation. 

4. Format the 980 Pro drive completely

5. When the installation doesn't proceed install the "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" for your "PH315-54-748Y laptop to accept the Win-11 installation and then proceed with the installation and System Activation processes. 

This is the way to install a Win-11 onto your new drive and whatever way you have done the Win-11 installation onto this 980 Pro M.2 drive is wrong and that is why its not being recognised,  

• TerryC910
    TerryC910 Member Posts: 6 New User
    StevenGen said:
    TerryC910 said:

Adding a new main boot drive like the Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4 with Win-11 does not work like you have done? Do you want a dual boot drive of Win-10 and 11? As your 980 Pro with the Win-11 to be a boot drive needs its specific "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" installed to be recognised, have you installed this driver? 

IMO the best installation is to do a "Clean Install" and a complete format through the installation with the Win-11 installation onto your new M.2 980 Pro drive, and as in your case do this:

1. Boot into Win-10 OS through the old M.2 (while the new 980 Pro M.2 drive is installed into the laptop) 

2. Then go to Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Click on “Restart now” > after your PC reboots, you'll see a blue background menu containing options like “Continue”, “Troubleshoot”, and “Turn off your PC”. Click on Troubleshoot > Click on “Advanced options” > Select “UEFI Firmware Settings” to finally enter your computer BIOS 

3. Boot into the Win-11 USB installation USB and proceed with the Clean Install" installation. 

4. Format the 980 Pro drive completely

5. When the installation doesn't proceed install the "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" for your "PH315-54-748Y laptop to accept the Win-11 installation and then proceed with the installation and System Activation processes. 

This is the way to install a Win-11 onto your new drive and whatever way you have done the Win-11 installation onto this 980 Pro M.2 drive is wrong and that is why its not being recognised,  

It's been a month, and I think I just remember what I did. I can't install the windows 11 on 980 pro even if I installed the IRST driver. it shows up the harddrive but after reboot, it won't finish the installation. Because everytime it reboots, my laptop can't find the harddrive, and it will keep loading the win 11 usb again, it will start from beginner again. But it will allow me to do that if I boot with the old M.2 together, and it did finish installed win 11 on 980 pro last month. Today, I just want to remove the old M.2 ( because I don't want or need this old one ) and then I just noticed it won't boot to windows. because it won't find boot device.

But I didn't do your step 2. I will give it a try. thank you

• Ka3EeM
    Ka3EeM Member Posts: 8 New User
    I think i have the same problem as yours .

I have bought Crucial P2 1 TB and it doesnt work at all . If i switched the slots with old m.2 kingstone 

The Crucial will get identified and kingstone will not . And i will be stuck on No Bootable Device cause bios doesnt recognize the m.2

Please if you have an answer help me
  • aaron00_7
    aaron00_7 Member Posts: 1 New User

Did you find a solution?

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • rway
    rway Member Posts: 3 New User

I cloned the original system NVME stick to a 990Pro2TB, and it boots up great…
    BUT ONLY if I leave the original drive installed. (←—?????)

If I take out the original, the PH315-54 won't even run POST.
    If I put it back in, it boots from the CLONE just fine (or from the original, that still works too.)

I want to free up that second NVME slot for a 990Pro4TB, but I'm stuck with the original and I can't figure out why.

Acer?
    Anybody?

• StevenGen
    edited December 2023

Try to update the bios to the PH315-54 last bios version 1.15, as bios 1.12 does update the microcode of your laptop, otherwise and if you are brave, format the old M.2 SSD and see if the laptop still boots (NOTE: make sure you do a backup if you have valuable files on your laptop) and see if your laptop boots and works? The Samsung Gen 4 M.2 SSD drives should work on the PH315-54 laptops as Acer specifies these drives for this laptop, it might be that and if you have the PH315-54 with the RTX3050 gpu that your laptop might display these problems as its SSD2 is a PCIe3x4, which could be a factor of this 2021 laptop.

If it boots up then just leave the old M.2 SSD in there, as you have more storage space. This is a very strange situation as there must be something wrong with your mainboard, as this should not be happening.

This is the storage specs of your PH315-54 laptop as the specs, the PH315-54, the RTX3050 is the GN20-P1 and the RTX3060 is the GN20-E3/E5 reference below:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• rway

Thanks for the reply.
    Update the BIOS is a good call, but that's the first thing I did.
    I don't want to leave the original stick in there. It's only 512GB, and I want to add a 4TB.
    Unfortunately I'm stuck with the 512 taking up the slot… like some kind of Dongle Key that enables the POST to run.
    I've disabled everything I can in the BIOS, one thing at a time, and nothing gets it to run the POST without that stupid OEM stick in there (it's actually a Samsung.)

Acer? You out there?

• StevenGen
    edited December 2023

There is something wrong with your laptops bus lanes, as that should not be happening, which version have you got, is it the RTX3050 or the RTX3060, as if its the RTX3050 that has an SSD2 at PCIe3x4, it could be that these laptops might have a bus lane problem with the PCIe4x4 M.2 SSD drives, and you need to consult an experienced technician and ask them if they can fix anything that could be causing these M.2 SSD drive symptoms, as this should not be happening. I've got an Swift X SFX14-51G that its boot drive is a PCIe4x4 and slave drive is a PCIe3x4 and I have a Gen 4 and Gen 3 M.2 drive installed and this laptop works perfectly with both Gen M.2 drives. Also, don't fit a 4TB M.2 SSD as it will not work in this laptop, you will waste your money on a very expensive drive. Good luck and hope you sort things out, as this is a strange fault.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• rway

I've got a 3070 with PCIe 4x16

• If your PH315-54 has the RTX3070 gpu then your laptop has an SSD1 and SSD2 that are both Gen4x4 slots and the Samsung 990 Pro NVMe drive should work 100%, install the Samsung Magician software and see if the 990 Pro NVMe M.2 drive firmware is up to date and do a performance test as there could be a fault with the M.2 drive, also and due to M.2 Gen 4 drives getting hotter than Gen 3 drives, wrap the M.2 drive in the new Predator PHN16-71 M.2 SSD "FOIL CU W/ MYLAR,GRAPHITE SHEET-Acer part #: 47.QJQN7.005" like below, to keep the drive cool, as that is what Acer is beginning to do with these Gen 4 drives, as they do get hot.

Also check with Samsung warranty, as your M.2 SSD could be faulty and they all have a 5 years or total bytes written (TBW), whichever comes first warranty. For more information on the warranty refer to the enclosed warranty document in the package https://www.samsung.com/au/support/warranty/ on their drives.

Btw, I've used Samsung 2.5" SSD drives since the 550 EVO was released and also used Samsung M.2 SSD drives for ages and I've been using a Gen 3x4 Samsung 970 Plus that I've wrapped in thermal padding in my 2021 Nitro AN515-56 laptop as a boot drive and it has no problems, I'm also using a Gen4x4 WD SN770 Black that I've also fully wrapped with thermal padding in my Swift X SFX14-51G that I've noticed that it gets hotter than the Gen 3 but works perfectly with no problems and this drive gets its typical Gen 4x4 SSD1 boot speeds in CrystalDiskMark of read speed of 5300MB/s and write speeds of 4980 MB/s while its SSD2 slot with the 1TB WD SN530 Gen3x4 also woks perfectly at write speeds of 1,950MB/s and read speeds of 2,400MB/s which is typical of the lower grade Gen3x4 M.2 drive speeds like an SN530 drive.