Windows 11-10 updates keeps installing older Intel Xe and other Graphics display driver in a loop.

Options
StevenGen
StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,997 Trailblazer
edited August 2022 in Windows 11

If you are having the Intel Xe Graphics Driver or any other graphics from Intel and you get a loop problem like I've experienced on my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-56 running Win-11 (this also happens in Win-10 btw) as my laptop runs the Intel Xe graphics and you can't use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant to update to a new Intel Xe Graphics or other version graphics drivers, as Windows Update keeps reinstalling the old and previous Intel Xe or other Intel graphics drivers, just as an example and in my case, it keeps reinstalling the Intel version: 27.20.100.9664 and keeps deleting the new installed Intel  Xe graphics driver version: 31.0.101.3222 dated 7/11/2022 that the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant installed. To fix this problem 100% from "Windows Update" doing this and not rolling back the driver Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks and install this freeware as this software will fix and stop this problem of the old Intel driver from being installed in a loop in Windows Update as it deletes these updates from Windows Update, you can also use this software as a Windows Update to be able to chose all drivers that you want and don't want as an alternative scan. Just wanted to let all community members know as the official Intel Solution to this problem at "Windows* Update Reverting to an Older Graphics Driverdoes not fix anything as this problem and their solution does not work as the loop will continue, cheers and hope this helps many members out.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>it keeps reinstalling the Intel version: 27.20.100.9664 and keeps deleting the new installed Intel  Xe graphics driver version: 31.0.101.3222 dated 7/11/2022>>>

What problem is the old version causing if you don't try to re-install the new version?

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    edited August 2022
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>it keeps reinstalling the Intel version: 27.20.100.9664 and keeps deleting the new installed Intel  Xe graphics driver version: 31.0.101.3222 dated 7/11/2022>>>

What problem is the old version causing if you don't try to re-install the new version?

There is no problems with the old Intel graphics driver Jack, its just that I’m using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant that I like to keep all drivers up to date as this rolling back of whatever Microsoft thinks is the most appropriate drivers (which they are not 100%) is wrong as windows update should not have the right to rollback drivers. 

I’ve solved this problem with the MiniTool that works 100% and has deleted not only this repeated graphics driver that Microsoft persists that is the best drive ‘which its not” as Intel’s new graphics version: 31.0.101.3222 dated 7/11/2022 works 100% and perfectly, but and also with Microsoft’s  dangerous Insyde bios/firmware update that Microsoft persists and insists on rolling out that keeps bricking laptops, as using the official Microsoft solution didn’t work for me (see "Show or hide updates" utility Fixing Automatic Installation of a Problematic Update in Windows 10 Version 1903”) which is strange and just another useless solution from them. Cheers and thanks for your reply Jack.  

• JackE
    Options
    >>>There is no problems with the old Intel graphics driver Jack, its just that I’m using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant that I like to keep all drivers up to date>>>

Not advisable.  Intel's assistants are mainly geared toward fixing problems with generic Intel mainboards, not proprietary OEM boards. Updates sound good to most folks but they're primarily meant to fix problems that exist.

>>>I’ve solved this problem with the MiniTool>>>
    Thanks for reporting back that it seems sorted out now. Good luck. :)

Jack E/NJ

• 2021Swift3
    2021Swift3 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:

My Swift 3 running Windows 11 keeps re-installing an Iris Xe driver from July 2020 that has a problem with screen flickering.
  • StevenGen
    edited August 2022
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>There is no problems with the old Intel graphics driver Jack, its just that I’m using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant that I like to keep all drivers up to date>>>

Not advisable.  Intel's assistants are mainly geared toward fixing problems with generic Intel mainboards, not proprietary OEM boards. Updates sound good to most folks but they're primarily meant to fix problems that exist.

>>>I’ve solved this problem with the MiniTool>>>
    Thanks for reporting back that it seems sorted out now. Good luck. :)

JackE said:

My Swift 3 running Windows 11 keeps re-installing an Iris Xe driver from July 2020 that has a problem with screen flickering.
    2021Swift3 Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks as that works 100% and the Microsoft solution to this problem with their ""hwmonitor_1.46" does NOT WORK and its useless and it didn't work in Win-11 that I'm using.

Just in addition to the Intel scan and what JackE is saying above, from my many years of using the Intel scan, as I've been using the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant since it was released with allot of different brand desktops and especially with Acer laptops and have had no problems with any of the updated Intel new drivers. This is especially with older laptops and desktops e.g a perfect example is my old Aspire V3-571G that the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant's updating its drivers and never had problems and all updates were always spot on and appropriate, as the latest updated Intel drivers assisted this laptop to perform at its max and peak performance e.g. graphics, chipset, audio, networking and storage, all this made this laptop with its updates of faster ram and an SSD 2.5" drive improve benchmarking performance  to this laptop being in the top 5 in performance of any benchmarks like Crucial scan, PC UserBenchmark, CrystalDiskMark of its SSD etc. 

Yes, there are some new Intel drivers that this Intel scan is not applicable but 99% of times these drivers installations will either cease to be installed and if they are installed and with knowledge of how to fix these issues, they can be fixed but, these issues are very rare and I would suggest to use this Intel scan as it does improve PC performance in having all their latest drivers. Btw, I've had problems with my latest Nitro 5 AN515-56 in regards to only the newly updated Bluetooth drivers to the Killer AX1650i Wi-Fi/BT card that hasn't had any problems with the latest and new Intel Win11 Wi-Fi drivers but only with the latest Win-11 drivers for Bluetooth but, the solution was very simple to fix as the Acer OEM BT driver worked 100% and rolling back to this Acer OEM BT driver is a very simple process that has fixed this issue and I've hidden the BT Intel updates from this scan to be reinstalled.

• 2021Swift3

Tinkerer

Options
    @JackE
    I downloaded and used the minitool. It was interesting to look at it side by side with Windows Update. Both showed a couple of somewhat standard updates - security and general Windows 11 updates - but only the minitool showed that the update was also going to do a third change - downgrading the display driver. What's really odd is that it keeps reverting to a bad driver; one that flickers every minute or two in any application.

One of the articles linked above clued me in to something; it might be that using the Intel clean install option triggered it. IOW, it installed it because it was missing from the disk. I will have to try letting it "update" and then upgrading the driver but not using the clean install option.

I was recently working with Intel on a common (in particular games) freezing problem and the tech did have me use clean install. They really have some issues with their drivers. Both Autocad and Zoom have support KBs specific to the Iris Xe telling you to disable hardware acceleration because of driver issues. Also a number of smaller software vendors. I had returned one game (inside the time limit on Steam) and managed to complete the other (the freeze might happen in seconds or might take an hour to occur) so I have kind of shrugged it off assuming one of these days a driver will correct it. I got a little frustrated with the tech asking me to keep trying things that weren't helping; I was really asking whether it is a known issue they are working to resolve or not. Besides the support KB articles from software vendors, it is easy to Google up pages of recent reports from users all facing the same problem.

The freeze is just the video and just in the particular application; I could Alt-tab away from it and kill it. Odd issue as it wasn't necessarily really pushing the GPU that triggered it. Steamworld Dig 2, which is really not all that demanding, gets it fairly often. I haven't seen it in Witcher 3, which does tax the GPU. Witcher 3 does get an occasional stutter even dialed back on graphics setting, but that's just not keeping up in a very busy scene; it's almost always on horseback cantering when a lot of new scenery comes into view with some movement in it.
  • JackE
    Options
    2021Swift3  >>>My Swift 3 running Windows 11 keeps re-installing an Iris Xe driver from July 2020 that has a problem with screen flickering.>>>

Thanks for reporting back on this. I mis-read earlier responses. That flickering driver seems to pre-date Win11 by at least  a year.

>>>If you are having the Intel Xe Graphics Driver or any other graphics from Intel and you get a loop problem like I've experienced on my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-56 running Win-11 (this also happens in Win-10 btw)>>>>

In Win10, did this happen suddenly for no apparent reason? What I mean is---did you (not Win10) manually try to update any graphics drivers BEFORE it or any other issues started happening just for the sake of updating drivers?

Jack E/NJ

• 2021Swift3

Tinkerer

Options
    I have not run Windows 10 on the machine. I ordered it new with Windows 11. Based on what I have learned, I think the vendor was updating machines.
  • 2021Swift3

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:

If you are having the Intel Xe Graphics Driver or any other graphics from Intel and you get a loop problem like I've experienced on my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-56 running Win-11 (this also happens in Win-10 btw) as my laptop runs the Intel Xe graphics and you can't use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant to update to a new Intel Xe Graphics or other version graphics drivers, as Windows Update keeps reinstalling the old and previous Intel Xe or other Intel graphics drivers, just as an example and in my case, it keeps reinstalling the Intel version: 27.20.100.9664 and keeps deleting the new installed Intel  Xe graphics driver version: 31.0.101.3222 dated 7/11/2022 that the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant installed. To fix this problem 100% from "Windows Update" doing this and not rolling back the driver Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks and install this freeware as this software will fix and stop this problem of the old Intel driver from being installed in a loop in Windows Update as it deletes these updates from Windows Update, you can also use this software as a Windows Update to be able to chose all drivers that you want and don't want as an alternative scan. Just wanted to let all community members know as the official Intel Solution to this problem at "Windows* Update Reverting to an Older Graphics Driverdoes not fix anything as this problem and their solution does not work as the loop will continue, cheers and hope this helps many members out.

Unfortunately, that identified a time it was going to be replaced, which was helpful, but it happened again at some point without an update. When I see it flicker, I have to go install the newer driver again I guess. This is just crazy.
  • 2021Swift3

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:

Unfortunately, that identified a time it was going to be replaced, which was helpful, but it happened again at some point without an update. When I see it flicker, I have to go install the newer driver again I guess. This is just crazy.

I tried this method:
    https://www.itechtics.com/disable-specific-driver-update/

But that has really bad results. Windows disables it when it can't revert it due to policy. I just had a major update to Windows 11 and it reverted it to a standard VGA device that wouldn't support my second monitor or anything until I removed the policy stuff (via registry) and had it look for hardware, install the out of date driver and then I could do the Intel install. I couldn't do the Intel install either when the policy was in place.