Predator PH315-51 not measuring temperature of the CPU

Options
gicejan86
gicejan86 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited August 2022 in Predator Laptops
Predator PH315-51

A piece of plastic broke inside the laptop, I heard a sound like it was in one of the fans, I opened it to clean it, closed it and turned on the laptop and everything was working until the fans had to start I heard the same sound, still had a bit more to clean. I opened the laptop again and cleaned it, turn the laptop on and this time the fans don't start when needed, I open PredatorSense and the cpu temperature is 0ºC.
The fans only work "manually", when I turn on Max mode in PredatorSense.

If no solution is there a option where i can change the max rpm?

I have tried bios - f9 - F10

( edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,543 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>A piece of plastic broke inside the laptop, >>>

(1) A photo of the broken plastic piece might be helpful.
    (2) You must check that  both fan connectors and wires are seated properly on mainboard

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    Options
    "(1) A photo of the broken plastic piece might be helpful."

It was where the screw connect to close the back.

I probably damaged the fan while disconnecting/connecting, but now i don't know how i can be sure that that is the problem, i don't see any damage, probably  gonna order a new fan and hope if it gets fixed.

• JackE
    Options
    That broken piece wouldn't affect the fan and temperature sensor. Can you see how many wires come from the fan to its mainboard connector?

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    Options
    "Can you see how many wires come from the fan to its mainboard connector?"
    There is 4.

I don't see any visible damage in the wires.
    Ignore the duct tape in the exhaust, that was after this problems after cleaning.

I turn on the laptop and the fan spin for 1 sec, only when it reaches something like 70ºC in the Cpu and 60ºC in the gpu (without turning on the integrated gpu) it starts working at 50% plus speed, until the temperature drops to 50ºC, after that the fans stop.

It is like this every 2 minutes, 30 sec 50% max speed and then off

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

Options
    I only can see the cpu temps because of the Hwmonitor in the Predator sense is always 0 like i showed in the first message.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>> I only can see the cpu temps because of the Hwmonitor in the Predator sense is always 0>>>

If the 4 wires and connector have been re-seated and firmly plugged into the mainboard, I suggest that you try to uninstall Predator Sense, Then download, unzip and try to install or re-install the updated Win10 regular version of the Predator Sense app at this link

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

Options
    Even tryed the White Edition and did'nt work.

• JackE
    Options
    What do you mean by "didn't work"?  Did they install or not? Did they open or not? Did they show the same results as before or not?

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    Options
    My bad, it shows the same results as before, nothing changed.
    It installs normally but the measured cpu temperature is always 0ºC

• Weasly
    Weasly Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    check fan pins are ok on mobo
    check female connector of fans also
    did you disconnect batt before removing fans/repaste?
    did you remove RAM before also?
    Battery reset done yet?
    How do fans behave in safe mode? try safe mode thru hdmi to force GPU ON and see reaction.
    Did not see any comment about this; did you check fan blades visually (totally dismantle heatsink) and under maybe piece is still there? a clunky sound is a physical problem.

Advanced power settings->minimum/maximum processor state on bat/AC what setting?
    Any other fan controlling software installed that could interfere?
    Do fans even work without the predator app installed, like in a game or testing app?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I only can see the cpu temps because of the Hwmonitor>>>

Please show screenshot of HWmonitor temps if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

Options
    "check fan pins are ok on mobo"
    Cant see any visual damage on there, might be wrong.

"check female connector of fans also"
    Cant see any visual damage on there, might be wrong.

"did you disconnect batt before removing fans/repaste?"
    I have the battery disconnect for like a year

"did you remove RAM before also?"
    Yes.

"Battery reset done yet?"
    Not sure, i tried (use the pin to press the hole in the back) but i dint saw any difference in the boot, what should happen while booting?

"How do fans behave in safe mode? try safe mode thru hdmi to force GPU ON and see reaction."
    Just to make sure, you mean turn the laptop on, connect to another device via Hdmi cable in the windows safe mode, but it didn't get a image in the other monitor. And the fans kept working the same way.

"did you check fan blades visually (totally dismantle heatsink) and under maybe piece is still there?"
    I did after the problem, that is why you can see tape in the heat sink in my last post, the original tape lost adhesion so i had to macgyver it.
    Couldn't see any noticeable problem in the blades.

"Advanced power settings->minimum/maximum processor state on bat/AC what setting?"
    Is this what you were asking?

"Any other fan controlling software installed that could interfere?"
    No

"Do fans even work without the predator app installed, like in a game or testing app?"
    Yes they work but only when it reach something close to 70ºC on the gpu, with the app and without the app.

"Please show screenshot of HWmonitor temps if possible."
    The fans start to work more o less on that temperature with that speed, for like 30 sec.

Thank you both for your time and help.

• JackE
    Options
    HWInfo looks good and suggests that your hardware and temp sensors are OK. Open Control Panel programs. Do you see one or more Acer Predator Sense apps listed?

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

Options
    "Do you see one or more Acer Predator Sense apps listed?"
    Just one.

"HWInfo looks good and suggests that your hardware and temp sensors are OK"
    I'm not worried about overheating (for now) it's just that I'm sure the fans should be running at least at 10% to keep it cooler and not have to hear the fans kicking every 3 minutes at 50% for 30 seconds (that **** is loud). All this while only using the browser.

• JackE
    Options
    You can try to use SpeedFan control freeware if you don't want to try to fix Predator Sense temp and fan speed control

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

Options
    "You can try to use SpeedFan control freeware"
    I tried that one but doesn't show the fans

"if you don't want to try to fix Predator Sense temp and fan speed control"
    Where can i find more info about this. I don't know what to do more than uninstall, reinstall.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>Where can i find more info about this. I don't know what to do more than uninstall, reinstall. >>>
    Follow this procedure if you haven't already.
    (1) Uninstall PredatorSense
    (2) At the elevated command prompt enter 'lodctr  /R'
    (3) If command successfully completes, turn off fast boot in Control Panel power button app
    (4) Then shut down Windows normally
    (5) Then turn it back on
    (6) Then download, unzip and try to install only the regular PS version from this link

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

Options
    It didn't work. The fans stayed working the same way.

It would be nice to be able to put the fans working manually (in the bios or something) at 10-20% instead of only having the option to go max speed.

• JackE
    Options
    At this point, we need to see if the CPU temperature still shows 0*C?

Jack E/NJ

• gicejan86

Tinkerer

Options
    Ignore the max temp on HWMonitor i took the image after the waking up the laptop, the temperatures aren't that low (70 to 75C)