Laptop won't turn on / Aspire 7 a715-72g-53bc

Options
Senileyeti
Senileyeti Member Posts: 6 New User
I turned on my laptop to see that it had no battery and was showing the critically low battery screen. Normally this pops up and goes away but this time it stayed on the screen. I pressed the power button down for 10 second to shut it down. I plugged in the battery charger and now nothing happens.

The laptop won't turn on if I press the power button and the orange light is not on either. When i press the power button, the blue light will flash 5 times and then nothing. 

What should I do to turn it on again? 

(APOLOGIES FOR REPEATING THE QUESTION, I DONT KNOW HOW TO DELETE THE FIRST POST)  

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,952 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I turned on my laptop to see that it had no battery and was showing the critically low battery screen. Normally this pops up and goes away but this time it stayed on the screen. I pressed the power button down for 10 second to shut it down. I plugged in the battery charger and now nothing happens.

The laptop won't turn on if I press the power button and the orange light is not on either. When i press the power button, the blue light will flash 5 times and then nothing. 

(APOLOGIES FOR REPEATING THE QUESTION, I DONT KNOW HOW TO DELETE THE FIRST POST)  
    This happens because your battery has gone into a low charge state and it needs to be reset (or its faulty and beyond charging) as no good battery goes into this state unless its faulty. Open the back cover disconnect the main battery and the RTC/BIOS battery and leave them disconnected for 5 min, reconnect both and try to reboot the laptop with the charger in its port. If the laptop does not boot then your battery needs replacing as its faulty and you will have these problems again as no battery that is working 100% will go into its emergency state unless its on its way out and its better to replace the battery with a new one. 
  • Senileyeti
    Answer ✓
    Options
    StevenGen said:

This happens because your battery has gone into a low charge state and it needs to be reset (or its faulty and beyond charging) as no good battery goes into this state unless its faulty. Open the back cover disconnect the main battery and the RTC/BIOS battery and leave them disconnected for 5 min, reconnect both and try to reboot the laptop with the charger in its port. If the laptop does not boot then your battery needs replacing as its faulty and you will have these problems again as no battery that is working 100% will go into its emergency state unless its on its way out and its better to replace the battery with a new one. 
    Ok I took the back off and unplugged the battery then plugged it back in. Now the computer starts up with both the blue and orange light on. Though it just says critically low battery and then turns off again within 6 seconds. this is an improvement from no reaction at all. The orange like is not flashing which normally indicates charging. Could it be charging cable? 

Answers

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    Options

• Senileyeti
    Options
    Thank you StevenGen, how should I go about removing the battery? 
  • Senileyeti
    Answer ✓
    Options
    StevenGen said:

Ok I took the back off and unplugged the battery then plugged it back in. Now the computer starts up with both the blue and orange light on. Though it just says critically low battery and then turns off again within 6 seconds. this is an improvement from no reaction at all. The orange like is not flashing which normally indicates charging. Could it be charging cable? 
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,209 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    Options
    If you have a multimeter, you can check the voltage between the 2 pins of the adapter plug. It should be around 19V.
    You can also create a battery report as described here to see the actual capacity of the battery.

• StevenGen
    Options
    Undo the back cover and see where the internal battery plug is, then disconnect its plug from the motherboard (see plug caption below) and then I would replace this battery with a new one, see here Genuine Acer Battery Aspire 7 A715-71 -71G A715-72G A717-71G A717-72G 15.2V 48Wh for your Aspire A717-72G, the battery Acer part #: AC14B8K and its specs are as follows, its a Li-ion battery/15.2V/48Wh so purchase this battery only as its only about USD $43+ as and if you do this your laptop will work and you wont have these problems.

Also check the battery charger with a multimeter (the chargers plug outside is the negative and the inside is its positive) and when the charger is plugged in it should output 15V + or - also check your battery state (do a battery report if you can as instructed above) also you can check with a multimeter if the battery has got more than 50% of the 15.2 voltage, if its got less then the battery has gone into a low charge state it turns off so do this "
    How to Revive a Dead Laptop Battery" if all this does not work then get a new battery which I recommend irrespective of all that you can revive this old battery to.

• Senileyeti
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Undo the back cover and see where the internal battery plug is, then disconnect its plug from the motherboard (see plug caption below) and then I would replace this battery with a new one, see here Genuine Acer Battery Aspire 7 A715-71 -71G A715-72G A717-71G A717-72G 15.2V 48Wh for your Aspire A717-72G, the battery Acer part #: AC14B8K and its specs are as follows, its a Li-ion battery/15.2V/48Wh so purchase this battery only as its only about USD $43+ as and if you do this your laptop will work and you wont have these problems.

Also check the battery charger with a multimeter (the chargers plug outside is the negative and the inside is its positive) and when the charger is plugged in it should output 15V + or - also check your battery state (do a battery report if you can as instructed above) also you can check with a multimeter if the battery has got more than 50% of the 15.2 voltage, if its got less then the battery has gone into a low charge state it turns off so do this "How to Revive a Dead Laptop Battery" if all this does not work then get a new battery which I recommend irrespective of all that you can revive this old battery to.

Thank you, I followed your first comment and removed the back, unplugged and replugged the battery, and though initially the laptop did not fully turn on, it eventually worked later that night. Thank you for your advice. 
  • StevenGen
    Options
    StevenGen said:

Also check the battery charger with a multimeter (the chargers plug outside is the negative and the inside is its positive) and when the charger is plugged in it should output 15V + or - also check your battery state (do a battery report if you can as instructed above) also you can check with a multimeter if the battery has got more than 50% of the 15.2 voltage, if its got less then the battery has gone into a low charge state it turns off so do this "How to Revive a Dead Laptop Battery" if all this does not work then get a new battery which I recommend irrespective of all that you can revive this old battery to.

Thank you, I followed your first comment and removed the back, unplugged and replugged the battery, and though initially the laptop did not fully turn on, it eventually worked later that night. Thank you for your advice. 
    Not a problem I'm glad that I could help you out and your laptop is working, cheers and have a great day :D