Hard drive

Kimchar
Kimchar Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello. I recently bought a acer 5 gaming laptop off ebay. It was listed as non used open box. Upon getting it all seemed great in excellent condition had the Manuel with it an no issues with anything. But today on i went in to my acer care system an noticed that it said it has a Toshiba hard drive an when i go to check it it runs the check an at 100 percent says drive not checked. The 2nd hard drive is a kingston. So my question is. Did they switch the drives on the laptop? An what should i do? An is there a better brand drive i can purchase?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    No. Acer typically uses drives from Toshiba, Kingston, Samsung, WesternDigital, Seagate, Matsushita, etc etc, Whichever happens to be on hand during the time of manufacture. The Toshiba you have is likely a large capacity mechanical HDD. The Kingston is likely an m.2 or msata SSD card which is usually used for the boot drive because it's much faster than an HDD. The HDD is usually much higher capacity so it's used primarily to store programs and personal files.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    Kimchar said:
    Hello. I recently bought a acer 5 gaming laptop off ebay. It was listed as non used open box. Upon getting it all seemed great in excellent condition had the Manuel with it an no issues with anything. But today on i went in to my acer care system an noticed that it said it has a Toshiba hard drive an when i go to check it it runs the check an at 100 percent says drive not checked. The 2nd hard drive is a kingston. So my question is. Did they switch the drives on the laptop? An what should i do? An is there a better brand drive i can purchase?
    What is the model of your Nitro 5, AN515-xx as your interface speed is PCIe 3 x2 or if its the latest then its a PCIe 3 x4, the Kingston 125GB M.2 SSD drive is your boot drive and the Toshiba 1TB is a slave mechanical drive. I would suggest that you put a 512GB boot drive like all the new Nitro 5's come with today as they mainly use the WD NS530, NS550 or even the NS570 or can use the Samsung M.2 drives PCIe 3 x4 as that will make your laptops boot drive bigger as 125GB is really not enough for a OS like Win-10 or 11. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    No. Acer typically uses drives from Toshiba, Kingston, Samsung, WesternDigital, Seagate, Matsushita, etc etc, Whichever happens to be on hand during the time of manufacture. The Toshiba you have is likely a large capacity mechanical HDD. The Kingston is likely an m.2 or msata SSD card which is usually used for the boot drive because it's much faster than an HDD. The HDD is usually much higher capacity so it's used primarily to store programs and personal files.

Jack E/NJ