Aspire TC-1660 New PC performance Problems

Mo030541
Mo030541 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I bought a new Aspire TC-1660 on 25 May (to replace a problematic Dell) but because I am away from home so much I have only had access to it for 29 days. Since the start it has run slow then OK and sometimes freezes as it has at present necessitating my having to use my HP Laptop (which has run perfectly and very fast since I bought it) to send this message. I need this replaced or at least given a full check by Acer to give me what I thought I had bought - a reliable fast PC. How do I do that?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,217 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited July 2022
    First, check if the drivers are up to date and see if there is a problem with a driver. Then install the latest driver version(s) and see if it helps. We had this freezing problem with TC-1660 a few months ago here on this forum. The problem was fixed by installing the latest BIOS version R01-B0.

To install the BIOS, download the ZIP file from here and extract it to a folder. Then follow the instructions in the attachment folder, ME FW & System BIOS update SOP for Windows v3.10. Open a command prompt as administrator, cd to the Win folder and run flash_x64.bat.
  • Mo030541

Tinkerer

I need this in English.
  • wascas
    Sorry for the translation.
  • Mo030541

Tinkerer

The link "here" doesn't work. please resnd
  • Mo030541

Tinkerer

On second thoughts, this is a new PC under warranty that has never been right Are you saying I bought a dodgy computer? I should not have to do as you suggested. I need a remote fix or replacement to a different unit.
  • wascas
    edited July 2022
    Ok. What I suggested is only one possible way of solution. Ultimately, you decide what you want to do. And of course, in case of warranty, contact your local Acer support center. 

• Mo030541

Tinkerer

Thanks, please advise how I contact my local Acer support centre
  • wascas
    Contact the Acer support center in your country.
  • Mo030541

Tinkerer

OK, thanks for your assistance. Maurice
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Likely the support center will ask you to first do the same steps. Update the drivers (you can do that via Windows Update as well and by comparing existing drivers to the support site) and updating to the latest BIOS (from the support site, choose drivers then the BIOS tab). once you extract the BIOS zip file to your drive you can use the flash.bat file in the WIN folder to install.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mo030541

Tinkerer

Hi Folks

PC seemed to be running better so I let it be, now not so good so I tried as instructed.

The problem is as per the attached screenshot.

Maurice

• wascas

Open a command prompt as administrator and try again.

• Mo030541

Tinkerer

My concerns started about May 2022 shortly after I bought the computer and my first posting was in July. Since then the PC has been back for repair. To this date I am still experiencing slow running and freezing and all Acer are saying is to send it back for check and repair again. This would mean no guarantee of an improvement and complete reloading again and I have done that so very many times and don't want to do it again. A replacement is being refused and the ACER attitude leaves a lot to be desired, they are not really interested - I am totally fed up but what can I do? Can someone tell me what I should have bought, money was not that tight. Thank goodness for my most excellent HP Laptop.

• billsey

There are so many different things that can affect system performance that it's tough to even make suggestions. Are you running the antivirus that came with it and did you pay for the service after the initial trial ended? If not, make sure you fully uninstall it. An expired antivirus is often the biggest resource hog. Next you need to use the tools like Task Manager and Resource Monitor to see what's being busy. Did your machine come with a HDD or SSD? How much memory does it have?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • I would also check the amount of ram that is available on the system.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mo030541

Tinkerer

edited February 2023

The initially installed antivirus was completely removed (and rechecked) - Bitdefender was installed.

HDD

930GB memory - 138 used, 791 free.

Serial Number: DTBGVEK00EXXXX

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

• billsey

I'll have the moderators edit that number, you aren't supposed to post it. When running slow, what does Task Manager in the Performance tab show for disk activity and memory used? The HDD is going to really slow things down if you are running t=into memory limits.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Go to task manager start up and uncheck all of your start-up items to check if any difference.

ALSO how about your server ?

You had problems with the Dell so maybe it;s your server or location in distance to the router. If you can wire it up with the ethernet cable then try it.

Also run SPEEDSMART, SPEEDEASY or SPEEDTEST to check your sooed and bandwidth at differnet locations, You can compare speeds with your cell phone in the SAME LOCATION then try it on the problem computer.