Windows 11 product key with Acer Aspire 3 laptop

Options
judyallroody
judyallroody Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2022 in Windows 11
Where is the Windows 11 product key on my new Acer Aspire 3 laptop? 

( edited the title to add the model name )

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options
    Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu. Right click Command Prompt app near top of menu. Click run as administrator. At the black command prompt screen enter 'wmic os get serialnumber'

The result is your Win11 product key.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Note that gives you your serial number, not the CD key. The key is embedded in the BIOS so is no longer needed as such.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Where is the Windows 11 product key on my new Acer Aspire 3 laptop? 
    Why do you need the product key? As for any installation and/or clean installation on your PC the Win-10 key or the Win-11 upgrade free key is embedded into the bios chip of your PC and when you do any new installs it registers windows automatically to your Microsoft account that you should have a registration to and at Settings > Activation > Activation state...you should have it "Active" and
     its a very simple process.
  • judyallroody
    judyallroody Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    StephenGen - what I  fear is that this laptop (with Win11 pre-installed) is with a local PC repair shop who we asked to transfer programs and date from a Win 10 desktop that has failed.  I fear that they have somehow compromised the BIOS of the laptop, as they found a Win10 product key on it.  Really worried...
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options
    Don't fear because it doesn't matter if it's a Win10 or Win11 product key. The key is valid for both versions

When you enter "wmic os get serialnumber" at the elevated command prompt, this indeed gives the Windows product key,  not the machine's serial number id (SNID). If there are OEM characters in the Windows product key number , this means it's a fully licensed ACER Win10 version with valid  license for either Win10 and Win11.

Jack E/NJ