Travelmate P2: charging battery using USB-C socket

Options
simonc8
simonc8 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited July 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa
I have a Travelmate P2 TMP214-52. When I bought this I'm sure I read that you could charge the battery using the USB-C socket, but I can't make this work. Is there a special cable or something that needs to be set up on the laptop? Or is it simply not possible?

Grateful for advice.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,603 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, one USBC port on the left side should support a 20volt 60watt DC in charger. 

Jack E/NJ

• simonc8
    Options
    I have been trying to charge it with a USB-A to USB-C cable connected to a car 12V supply, and also to a 220V mains to USB-A adaptor. Neither of these are recognised by the computer. Is that because they are not delivering enough voltage?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,870 Trailblazer
    Options
    Very likely yes. You need 20V and at least 60W in order for the charging to work. 12V will not work.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options
    Hard to say. Cigar USBA outlets and cable adapters are usually only have 5vdc output for cellphones, players etc. All the charger specs for this model are 19-20vdc.

Might be safer to use the correct car charger from a vendor like Amazon if you want an off-grid charger. The other option is a 100watt inverter. Then you can use your regular charger.

Jack E/NJ

• simonc8
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. It explains why I'm now away on holiday with an almost dead laptop and no means to charge it!
  • JackE
    Options
    An auto parts store should carry inverters if you also brought your original charger along. If not, you can probably pick up a universal 19v DC charger with multiple plug adapters at a department store with a decent electronics section.

Jack E/NJ