Can my Acer Predator G9-791 play 4K blu-rays?

Options
SquishyMuffin
SquishyMuffin Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
It's an old beast now but it came with a blu-ray drive, was wondering if anyone can confirm if that drive can play 4K Ultra HD blu-rays or just regular?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Unless it has since been replaced, the factory installed drive likely pre-dates introduction of Ultras. Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. Expand components folder in left pane. Click DVD or Blu-Ray subfolder to see what player or writer you have in the right pane.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Unless it has since been replaced, the factory installed drive likely pre-dates introduction of Ultras. Press WIN+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. Expand components folder in left pane. Click DVD or Blu-Ray subfolder to see what player or writer you have in the right pane.

Jack E/NJ

• SquishyMuffin
    Options
    Thanks your input there. I followed your instruction only to realise I'd swapped the drive out for the frostcore fan..lol. Either way, up upon actually looking at it physically for serial/model nos it's a Panasonic and cannot play 4K Blu-rays; was released in 2015 and first 4K Blu-ray was in 2016. It can play 3D blu-rays though, and read/write. It's not a bad little unit.

Reason I asked initially is because this laptop had the option to come with a 4K screen so thought maybe it'd have a compatible drive.
  • JackE
    Options
    As a consolation, the FrostCore fan might be able to reach 4K rpm. Maybe even 5K.  :)  

Jack E/NJ

• SquishyMuffin
    Options
    I remember reviews back in the day could barely register a 1 degree celsius difference. But hey, it's summer, might as well make use of the gimmick.
  • JackE
    Options
    If CPUs could sweat and the humidity was always low, I bet a fan like that could make a big difference though.

Jack E/NJ