My laptop won't detect the GPU (PH315-52)

Options
Chaks243
Chaks243 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited July 2022 in Predator Laptops
My game crashed yesterday, so I tried updating the GPU driver when restarting the PC wouldn't work. Geforce Experience looked weird, so I downloaded the driver from Nvidia's website, which would not install due to "windows not being compatible". My GPU showed up in Device Manager after clicking Show hidden items, but gave me a Code 45. After using DDU to uninstall my drivers my GPU wouldn't show up in Device Manager at all, and I was still unable to install GPU drivers. I finally did a windows restore and it still doesn't work. At this point I don't know if it's a software issue or a Hardware issue, and my warranty is expired and I have no access to a repair shop atm. Any ideas?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Chaks243 said:
    My game crashed yesterday, so I tried updating the GPU driver when restarting the PC wouldn't work. Geforce Experience looked weird, so I downloaded the driver from Nvidia's website, which would not install due to "windows not being compatible". My GPU showed up in Device Manager after clicking Show hidden items, but gave me a Code 45. After using DDU to uninstall my drivers my GPU wouldn't show up in Device Manager at all, and I was still unable to install GPU drivers. I finally did a windows restore and it still doesn't work. At this point I don't know if it's a software issue or a Hardware issue, and my warranty is expired and I have no access to a repair shop atm. Any ideas?

Have you tried to take the RTC bios battery out? As you could have a frozen super IO chip that controls all these functions and a bios rest also resets the super IO. Take the main battery out first and then the bios battery second, leave them unplugged for 5 min and reconnect them and see if the laptops gpu is automatically installed and windows installs a default driver?

Just remember that Code 45 is: an "Error Code" that is a common device manager problem that users encounter on any Windows 2000 and later operating system versions. The error occurs when your Windows system fails to acknowledge the connected device by either stating that the device is not present or that it was previously attached to a computer.

If the bios reset does not work? Then you have internal issues with the super IO chip which is a major component in all PC's that control functions to your laptop including the bios, if its not that then unfortunately its a gpu issue (a power or faulty gpu) that a power issue can be fixed but if its the actual gpu then you will need to replace the motherboard. All this can only be diagnosed and fixed by an experienced technician as a consumer cant do a super IO chip replacement as you don't have the tools to do these microscopic fixes, also you have done all that a consumer can do so your next step is either replace the board or take it to a tech! 

These are all the PH315-52 motherboards fitted by Acer to their PH315-52 laptops, check your boards ID and replace it exactly to match its ID, if they are available on the web or from Acer?
    RTC Battery and Super IO Chip locations

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>It didn't work. >>>

As stated, this was a Win10 driver. Did you install Windows 11? Your PH315-52 model is not yet fully compatible with Windows 11 until the ACER driver download site is updated with the Windows 11 drivers. Meanwhile, you can try iobit's Driver Booster freeware to see if it can pick up any temporary drivers on line that may  work.

Jack E/NJ

• Chaks243

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>It didn't work. >>>

As stated, this was a Win10 driver. Did you install Windows 11? Your PH315-52 model is not yet fully compatible with Windows 11 until the ACER driver download site is updated with the Windows 11 drivers. Meanwhile, you can try iobit's Driver Booster freeware to see if it can pick up any temporary drivers on line that may  work.

No, I'm still on Windows 10. I've already tried Driver Easy to install the GPU drivers but it won't even recommend any Nvidia drivers
  • Chaks243

Tinkerer

edited July 2022
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Chaks243 said:

Have you tried to take the RTC bios battery out? As you could have a frozen super IO chip that controls all these functions and a bios rest also resets the super IO. Take the main battery out first and then the bios battery second, leave them unplugged for 5 min and reconnect them and see if the laptops gpu is automatically installed and windows installs a default driver?

Just remember that Code 45 is: an "Error Code" that is a common device manager problem that users encounter on any Windows 2000 and later operating system versions. The error occurs when your Windows system fails to acknowledge the connected device by either stating that the device is not present or that it was previously attached to a computer.

If the bios reset does not work? Then you have internal issues with the super IO chip which is a major component in all PC's that control functions to your laptop including the bios, if its not that then unfortunately its a gpu issue (a power or faulty gpu) that a power issue can be fixed but if its the actual gpu then you will need to replace the motherboard. All this can only be diagnosed and fixed by an experienced technician as a consumer cant do a super IO chip replacement as you don't have the tools to do these microscopic fixes, also you have done all that a consumer can do so your next step is either replace the board or take it to a tech! 

These are all the PH315-52 motherboards fitted by Acer to their PH315-52 laptops, check your boards ID and replace it exactly to match its ID, if they are available on the web or from Acer?
    RTC Battery and Super IO Chip locations

Problem is I'm not even getting the Code 45 thing after reinstalling Windows. Control Panel shows the original GPU drivers installed, but Device Manager won't detect the GPU at all. There ARE 2 Unknown Devices on Device Manager, though. Maybe one of them is the GPU? Here are their Hardware IDs

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I would try to use the driverbooster program to catch the problem drivers. If the graphics card is still not showing up, I would try to reset the battery.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Chaks243

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    It managed to install a sound device called "NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)", but it's status says "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled.  An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)" and the GPU is still not showing up on Display Adapters.

GeForce Experience won't launch either
  • Chaks243

Tinkerer

Options
    I would try to use the driverbooster program to catch the problem drivers. If the graphics card is still not showing up, I would try to reset the battery.

Using it to update the drivers didn't work, and it says it found 3 issues, but I need a license to fix them and it won't tell me what the issues are
  • Chaks243

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Idk what happened but my laptop ran out of battery, when I turned it on again it managed to install the drivers. Once it charges up a bit I'll try to run a benchmark and see if it doesn't crash. But we're looking good, guys! Still cant update the drivers on GeForce Experience, though. They show up and download like normal, but it gives me an error when installing them. I'll try a manual install, unless anyone has another suggestion to try?
  • Chaks243

Tinkerer

Options
    Update: Heaven Benchmark been running without issue for 20 minutes. I think it's working fine now, though I haven't tried updating the drivers manually from Nvidia's website, since Geforce Experience won't let me installing from there
  • Chaks243

Tinkerer

Options
    Update 2: Manually installing the new Nvidia drivers from the website worked! Looks like it's working fine now. Thanks everyone!
  • JackE
    Options
    Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Chaks243

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    It didn't work. It gave me the "not compatible with this version of windows" and "could not find compatible graphics hardware" error again
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you tell the IDHARDWARE of this device?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Update 2: Manually installing the new Nvidia drivers from the website worked! Looks like it's working fine now. Thanks everyone! >>>

If it was working fine then why did you try to install the other driver?

Jack E/NJ