Hub not working properly at usb type-c port of Acer Swift 3 314-43-R4CP

awb
awb Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi, I try to connect an usb type-c hub with my Acer Swift 3 314-43-R4CP with an fresh updated windows 11 21H2. The hub gets power from the usb type-c port of the Swift 3. But I am only able to use one usb type-c stick and no other device. The hub should support also 2 other usb 3.0 devices as well as a microSD and a SD/SDHC/SDXC card. The hub itself is not defect - it works on my Android tablet and also on my desktop when connecting an usb-c stick together with mouse and keyboard. I also can not see any problem in the devicemanager of the Windows 11 on the Acer Swift 3. Any idea is highly appreciated!

Screen shot of the device manager from Windows 11

The hub gets power from the Acer Swift 3 - blue LED is on

The specs of the hub

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,782 Trailblazer
    Probably means the 3A capacity of the laptop's USBC port is somehow being exceeded with more than one device plugged into the hub.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer
    Have you tested the hub on a different computer as well? That looks like a pretty generic hub and should work fine as long as you don't exceed the power budget.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • awb

Tinkerer

Probably means the 3A capacity of the laptop's USBC port is somehow being exceeded with more than one device plugged into the hub.
    How did you know about the value of 3A ? I tried to read about it but did not find it. Not in the specs nor in the web...
    It seems a little bit strange to me.
    As I wrote already my Android Tab is working fine with the hub and all ports connected to a different device.

The Tab seems to have also a 3A supported USB-C port....

Something elss is strange: the hub is working with the Acer Swift only if a device - like a stick or a keyboard - is connected to the port labeled 3.0. If I reconnect the same device to any other port of the hub it is not working.  
    TXS

• JackE
    >>>is connected to the port labeled 3.0.>>>

Please post phone  photo of this port that works.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    He did... :) That's an Android tablet. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work on the laptop but does work on the tablet, using the same keyboard and mouse. I do lean toward the hub being a flaky design though...
    The 3A power budget is part of the USB spec.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • awb

Tinkerer

billsey He did...

Hey - good point ! I was just before to post that hint...
    I am wondering how it could be a flaky design if it work with Android and - I also wrote before - with another Laptop (I am not able to show here because I do not own it by myself and the device is not around...).
    Inbetween I read some statements regarding to the usb-c port of the Acer Swift. Some have had trouble to connect a display, some have had some other trouble. It seems to be this port is a little bit tricky. Could that be confirmed by someone here in the forum ?

• billsey
    Remember that there have been a lot of different Swift 3 models over the years, with completely different features on different ones. Yours is AMD based using the Lucienne chipset, most models have been Intel based instead. Your has good specs though, the USB-C port is Gen2 with pretty much all the bells and whistles:

Maybe the hub can't handle the higher speeds of a Gen2?
  • awb

Tinkerer

billseyMaybe the hub can't handle the higher speeds of a Gen2?

That's maybe a good point! But then I asked myself:
    why is it working with one stick plugged into the 3.0 labled port of the hub? It seems to be that could handle the speed...
    By the way: could you be so kind and tell me where did you get the specs from? I can't find that information...
    txs

• JackE
    >>>Something elss is strange: the hub is working with the Acer Swift only if a device - like a stick or a keyboard - is connected to the port labeled 3.0. If I reconnect the same device to any other port of the hub it is not working.   >>>

Please post phone  photo of this port labeled 3.0 that works on the Swift.

Jack E/NJ

• awb

Tinkerer

billsey: By the way: could you be so kind and tell me where did you get the specs from?

No need to answer that - I've found it...

• JackE
    >>>Something elss is strange: the hub is working with the Acer Swift only if a device - like a stick or a keyboard - is connected to the port labeled 3.0. If I reconnect the same device to any other port of the hub it is not working.   >>>

Please post phone  photo of this port labeled 3.0 that works on the Swift.

Jack E/NJ

• awb

Tinkerer

billsey: By the way: could you be so kind and tell me where did you get the specs from?

No need to answer that - I've found it...

• billsey
    Yes those specs I posted are from the Service Guide, which isn't publicly available.