2021 Helios 300 (3070/i7-11800H) - Fans won't stop until restart - Update Bios? PH315-54

Options
Uel_M
Uel_M Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited July 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hi all,

I just got a 2021 Helios 300 PH315-54 (3070/i7-11800H/16gb ram/1tb ssd) running latest Windows 11. Everything seems great except the fans.

My temps are around 55c-60c when fans kick in but once temp is down to 40c and system is idling, fans stay on and they don't stop again until I restart the laptop. Then it's fine for a while until fans kick in again and don't stop until I restart. So it continues. Predator Sense has fans on Auto. 

I see on the Support page there's a Driver entry for thermal and 2 Bios entries around fans. I've never updated a bios nor do I know if that's the actual issue. Any advice/troubleshooting would be appreciated.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ZA/content/support-product/9009?b=1 under Driver there's:

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

and under Bios there's:

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,755 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can check the bios version here:

When you change the power plan to balanced mode, does the problem continue?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,577 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>> Everything seems great except the fans.>>>Predator Sense has fans on Auto.>>>

If it was mine, I'd only try updating to the May 2022 predator sense if you haven't done so already. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/9009?b=1

Jack E/NJ

• Uel_M
    Options
    Thanks for your reply  JackE. I updated to the latest Predator Sense but  the problem is still there. I did find that in Predator Sense in Mode when the fans are going crazy that switching to any other mode instantly stops the fans. But not quite a permanent solution.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,577 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>that switching to any other mode instantly stops the fans.>>>

Stops? Can you actually see that the blades thru the vents are stopped? Or perhaps still running at very low rpm because the temperature isn't high enough to kick in at higher rpm?

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,755 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can check the bios version here:

When you change the power plan to balanced mode, does the problem continue?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Uel_M
    Options
    Thanks @egydiocoelho your comment about changing to the Balanced power plan did the trick. So there's something in the Acer power plan that's the problem. But from now on I'll just keep it on Balanced. I appreciate the assistance. 
  • Uel_M
    Options
    Hi @JackE no the blades don't actually stop spinning but I meant that I stopped hearing them when they slow down. Thank you for your input... but the culprit was my power plan.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Maybe it's not something related to the power plan. What bios version is installed on your computer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Uel_M
    Options
    I've got this Bios:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the same issue occur when updating the bios to the latest version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Uel_M
    Options
    A new Bios came through Windows updates today. I've just updated to it and so far so good. Thanks :)

Bios Version/Date: Insyde Corp v1.12. 07 Jun 2022
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In that case, accept the answer that helped you.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Uel_M
    Options
    I did thanks and shows 'Solved'. It was your solution about changing the power plan to 'Balanced' that works for me. Unfortunately the latest bios update didn't solve my issue when using other power plans.