aspire tc-885 Upgrading cpu from i5-9400

JustinDemarco
JustinDemarco Member Posts: 3 New User
What would be a good upgrade from the I5-9400? I ended up getting the GeForce GTX 1660 Super for a gpu and need a good processor to go with it. 

I have an Acer 885-tc92. 
Under baseboard product it says aspire tc-885
baseboard version v:1.1

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• JustinDemarco
    JustinDemarco Member Posts: 3 New User
    Should add would rather not change the MB
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    So if your Aspire TC-885 comes with an i5-9400 it's one of the newer models, since the original came with Coffee Lake-S parts and yours is a Coffee Lake-R. The i5-9400 is a 65W TDP chip so you can go with an i5-9500, i5-9600, i7-9700 or i9-9900. Since you have a discrete GPU card installed you can probably get away with the F models as well, just be aware that removing the GPU card would give you no video, since the F models have no GPU embedded.
    Now, any of those isn't going to make a huge difference in speed pretty much anywhere. They all tend to run at similar frequencies and the biggest differentiation is with the i9 which gives you eight cores and 16 threads, vs. the 6 cores 6 threads you have now. If you aren't running heavily multitasking applications the extra threads don't help a lot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @JustinDemarco

I agree with @billsey, even with an i9-9900 it may not help performance a lot (even though theoretically it is 80%+ faster than the i5-9400), probably just noticeable performance increase only. Since you are using NVMe SSD and a decent GTX 1660 Super graphics card, that should be good enough, nothing to create a bottle neck in peformance.