Tinkerer

I download the latest bios from the website 

I get these 4 folders

EFI
ROM
UCP
WIN

I tried the UCP executable and WIN . 

both open a cmd console (admin rights)  and after checking a few things where everything seems ok it asks me accept a computer shutdown, which i accept and it does, but instead of booting from BIOS where its supposed to update it just boots right back to windows. and no bios is chnaged. 

how can i succesfully update BIOS?

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,212 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited July 2022
    Options
    To update the BIOS, download the zip-file and extract it to a folder. Open a command prompt as adminstrator, select the WIN folder and execute flash.bat.
    After reboot, press DEL to enter the BIOS. Then press F9 to load default configuration and F10 and then Enter to save and exit.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,818 Trailblazer
    Options
    You can view any errors being thrown by opening an admin command prompt, CDing to the proper folder the executing the batch file. When you just do the double click the errors are only shown for an instant before the window closes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GeovanyGiorgio
    GeovanyGiorgio Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    wascas said:
    To update the BIOS, download the zip-file and extract it to a folder. Open a command prompt as adminstrator, select the WIN folder and execute flash.bat.
    After reboot, press DEL to enter the BIOS. Then press F9 to load default configuration and F10 and then Enter to save and exit.
    yes, thats what i am doing. problem is when the pc restarts it goes straight to windows, cant enter bios. 

weird
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,212 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited July 2022
    Options
    To enter the BIOS, turn off the machine. Then press the power button and immediately after that press DEL quickly for several times. When the Acer logo appears, it is already too late. Then try again.
  • GeovanyGiorgio

Tinkerer

Options
    wascas said:
    To enter the BIOS, turn off the machine. Then press the power button and immediately after that press DEL quickly for several times. When the Acer logo appears, it is already too late. Then try again.
    thanks. 

I noticed I get a black screen when i "enter bios" that is when I press DEL during boot. so I think my problem is something else. I read somewhere that resetting CMOS is a good idea

but before doing that I will try a different monitor

• billsey
    Options
    Yes, if the GPU isn't rescaling the low resolution screen used by the BIOS into something high enough resolution for the monitor to display you can get a blank screen, often with a resolution unsupported type of message...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the current bios version? Why do you want to update the bios? Are you trying to run the file as an administrator?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GeovanyGiorgio

Tinkerer

Options
    What is the current bios version? Why do you want to update the bios? Are you trying to run the file as an administrator?

yes, I am trying as an admin. 

I want to update cause is the last thing to try and fix some random errors I am getting. I have tested every piece of hardware and cleaned software so everything points that I have a defective motherboard 

in fact, while trying this I contacted Acer support and they prefer to take a look for themselves since we tried everything possible in remote assistance with no luck. 

• billsey
    Options
    Best would be to discover what's causing the errors instead of blindly trying a BIOS update, since BIOS updates are inherently dangerous, and trying to update a flaky system is more likely to leave you with a big brick. What are the random error symptoms and how often are they happening? Do they also happen when booted in safe mode or when wandering around in the BIOS prior to loading Windows?
  • GeovanyGiorgio

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Best would be to discover what's causing the errors instead of blindly trying a BIOS update, since BIOS updates are inherently dangerous, and trying to update a flaky system is more likely to leave you with a big brick. What are the random error symptoms and how often are they happening? Do they also happen when booted in safe mode or when wandering around in the BIOS prior to loading Windows?

you are probably right, but it's honestly the only thing left to try. 

I am having random crashes, the screen freezes entirely and there is nothing I can do except force shutting it off. I say random because it happens sometimes when idle, sometimes when busy. this has been going on for months (since I bought it) and I haven't found any pattern.

I have switched PSU, GPU, and Ram sticks. 

ran several malware / antivirus programs, scan with cmd: "
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" 

re-installed windows and tried both win 10 and win 11. switched monitors, switch power cables. 

I have talked with Acer about this and they suspect a defective mobo. 
  • billsey
    Options
    So it's unlikely to be software with the OS clean install. Do the freezes ever cause BSOD errors, or just a freeze? When frozen if you leave things be overnight is it still frozen in the morning? When it freezes does the mouse also freeze, or can you move the mouse pointer but just have nothing happen? Does it also exhibit the freeze when running in Safe mode?
  • GeovanyGiorgio

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    So it's unlikely to be software with the OS clean install. Do the freezes ever cause BSOD errors, or just a freeze? When frozen if you leave things be overnight is it still frozen in the morning? When it freezes does the mouse also freeze, or can you move the mouse pointer but just have nothing happen? Does it also exhibit the freeze when running in Safe mode?
    just a freeze no blue screens. 

and when it freezes I have no control over the PC, no keyboard or mouse. the only thing to do is to force shut it off. 

haven't really tested in safe mode. will try that
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It is possible that the problem is with the video card. As the fans work at high speed, it is possible that the video card is not stable. Can you unplug the video card and then reconnect it again, stabilizing the video card in the slot?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • GeovanyGiorgio

Tinkerer

Options
    It is possible that the problem is with the video card. As the fans work at high speed, it is possible that the video card is not stable. Can you unplug the video card and then reconnect it again, stabilizing the video card in the slot?

it might be a possibility cause I haven't been using the screw that fixes the GPU in the case. 

but, I have tried with 2 different GPUs and the problem persists with both. also the case I keep in a place on the desktop where I can't accidentally hit it. 

might as well try that

• billsey
    Options
    Definitely test both by letting is sit frozen overnight to make sure it's not something just hanging the bus for hours and also test in safe mode, to help verify it's not a third party app running wild.