predator helios 300 gpu replacement?

Jovla
Jovla Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

so i have predator helios 300 that has 2 gpu-s, and nvidia gpu is dead so is there any way to replace it (not to upgrade it or anything), so just to replace it with same that is working. I cant find replacement parts anywhere... do i need replace whole motherboard with cpu, gpu? or gpu-s and cpu are seperated from motherboard? can i order if directly from acer or its too expensive??

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,813 Trailblazer
    Sorry no. Unlike a desktop nvidia gpu replaceable card, a laptop nividia gpu is in the form of a chip soldered to the mainboard. It cannot be replaced. Please post a screenshot of Device Manager with the display adapter folder expanded so we can see that the chip is dead.

Jack E/NJ

• Jovla

Tinkerer

Hi thank you for answering, actually gpu is visible in device manager but when i start any game i get black lines jumping all over my screen (video), and then after some time game crashes but only game, laptop stays on and i only sometimes get graphic card critical error and thats all . I didnt notice any overheating. Battery is dead and i use laptop on cable but i think that it should work normal as long as power cable is connected. When i disable nvidia gpu i device manager and when i play on intel gpu it works normal no black lines or errors or anything. If you need any more info let me. Know i really want to be sure that my gpu is dead before i get new one (but i think its preety much dead 🙃😟) 

• Jovla

Tinkerer

https://we.tl/t-szXFr2qtAN here is video of black lines jumping all over screen, i hope link works because i didnt find other site to upload
  • JackE
    >>>Battery is dead and i use laptop on cable but i think that it should work normal as long as power cable is connected. >>>

Sorry, no. You must have a fully functional battery, near 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy gaming loads. This is because the power supply often cannot meet the power demand without help from the battery. During those high power demand load times, the battery is actually discharging to help the charger meet the power demand even though it's plugged in. Trying to game with a dead or no battery may eventually destroy the charger.

Both the integrated and discrete GPU hardware look fine. But you need to buy a new battery. Any remaining GPU problems can likely be resolved with a software driver update or re-installation

Google search your full model series number (for example PH315-44) & battery for vendors who ship replacement batteries to your location. Should be about $40-50usd

Jack E/NJ

• Jovla

Tinkerer

I was using laptop only on power cable about 6-7 months and it was working fine (because battery was dead, laptop couldnt be on for 1 sec withoud power cable) , maybe not 100% but still i didnt had that problem- that lines jumping around. Could it be that battery was still doing something little and powering a little bit so it was working normal? 
  • JackE
    >>>Could it be that battery was still doing something little and powering a little bit so it was working normal?  >>>

Yes. Possible. Also possible that the charger is now starting to fail from overheating since it was not being properly buffered or assisted by a good battery during heavy power demands. You can try to reload the latest 1060 drivers from this link (enter your full helios model number for example PH315-44) just in case the old drivers were corrupted. Still, it's very hard to diagnose problems like this without a functional battery.

Jack E/NJ

• Jovla

Tinkerer

Ok so i got working battery and i measured output of charging adapter, its 19.1V and it should be 19.5V, but that should not make any problems (thats normal). 
  • JackE
    Do you still have the base Acer OEM factory-installed Windows version running? Or did you try to re-install Windows?

Jack E/NJ

• Jovla

Tinkerer

I didnt buy it brand new, i bought it private so probably its not orginal windows i dont know but it was working fine on it... Until it didnt, but i will try to reinstall windows too. Is there anything else i can try? 
    Thank you for helping
  • JackE
    Press WIN+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Please post screenshot of result if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Pnkj199
    Pnkj199 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I also have the same problem with acer e5 575g nvidia 940mx, updating driver or reinstalling windows and installing driver from acer site is not working solution, my laptops battery is not dead but also not new it can be used 30 minutes on minimal tasks.

Can anybody confirm, that GPU is dead or not 
  • JackE
    Just check Device Manager display adapter folder. There should two 2GPUs listed.

Jack E/NJ

• Jovla

Tinkerer

there is screenshot

• JackE
    Looks like the original Acer reset partition might've been wiped if it had one. Try this. Shutdown Windows normally. Then turn it on again and IMMEDIATELY press the  ALT key while tapping the F10 key. What happens/

Jack E/NJ

• Jovla

Tinkerer

well nothing happens, what do you want to open?
  • Jovla

Tinkerer

Jovla said:
    well nothing happens, what do you want to open?
    i mean its just turn on normally
  • JackE
    The Acer factory reset menu. Shut it down again. Then turn it back on again and IMMEDIATELY tap the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Is the D2D option enabled in the MAIN tab?

Jack E/NJ

• Jovla

Tinkerer

yes its enabled
  • Pnkj199
    Pnkj199 Member Posts: 4 New User
    So anybody never heard about laptop graphics chip dead or malfunctioning problem? Because I think it's dead. Can't use in any software or game which uses this graphics. 
    Both graphics chip listed under the device manager -display device menu and all driver installed 
  • Jovla

Tinkerer

Did you see the video i posted? You have exactly the same problem? I think its probably dead so i wont bother to fix it anymore fk it, ill get a new one.... Or maybe search for your laptop that has whole bottom part working and replace id i dont know... i couldnt find for mine