Using HDMI switch w/ Predator X27 bmiphzx?

Options
Mll5426
Mll5426 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited July 2022 in Predator Monitors
I am trying to use a 3-port HDMI switch (4K @ 60Hz) with my X27 monitor. Switch Port 1 is connected to my Xbox Series X without issue. Switch Ports 2 & 3 are connected to laptops, I am getting “no signal.” I plugged this setup into a 4K Hisense TV and I can switch to all 3 ports without issue. I even tried to connect each laptop directly to the monitor via HDMI and they work without issue. Just seems to be a problem with the X27 monitor working with the switch… any ideas?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,621 Trailblazer
    Options
    (1) What switch brand & model are you using?
    (2) What resolutions are you trying to use?

Jack E/NJ

• Mll5426
    Options
    JackE said:
    (1) What switch brand & model are you using?
    (2) What resolutions are you trying to use?
    Switch: HDMI Switch 4K@60Hz【Upgraded】3 in 1 Out HDMI Switch Splitter, 3 Port Hdmi Switch Box Supports Full HD 4K 1080P 3D,Multi Port Switcher Selector 2.0 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1BN2VG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_xGKrAzJIgDCMD

Resolutions: 1 XBOX is running 4K @ 60hz
    2 laptop is running 4K @ 48hz

what’s interesting is that looking at the advanced display settings of the x27 monitor in windows 10, the refresh rate is capped at 30hz. I can’t select any higher, only lower hz. When I “list all modes” of my intel 4600, all the modes are 48hz.

is it a problem with the switch that I bought?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>what’s interesting is that looking at the advanced display settings of the x27 monitor in windows 10, the refresh rate is capped at 30hz. I can’t select any higher, only lower hz.>>>

>>>>resolutions: 1 XBOX is running 4K @ 60hz>>>2 laptop is running 4K @ 48hz

What happens to monitor and its OSD when you connect directly to each video output device individually? No switch. Monitor must be turned on first. Then the video output device booted up.

Jack E/NJ

• Mll5426
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>what’s interesting is that looking at the advanced display settings of the x27 monitor in windows 10, the refresh rate is capped at 30hz. I can’t select any higher, only lower hz.>>>

>>>>resolutions: 1 XBOX is running 4K @ 60hz>>>2 laptop is running 4K @ 48hz

What happens to monitor and its OSD when you connect directly to each video output device individually? No switch. Monitor must be turned on first. Then the video output device booted up.

So I kinda figured it out…

When only I have 2 laptops connected to switch on p1 and p2 via hdmi, the switch/monitor works as intended. I can switch seamlessly between the 2 sources. 

However when I connect the Xbox to p3 of the switch I get issues. I can switch to p1 and p2 (laptop) sources fine, and then p3 fine… BUT when I switch back from p3 to p1 (Xbox to laptop), I get no signal on p1 or p2. But then p3 is ok. In order to get p1 and p2 working again, I have to disconnect and reconnect the switch from the hdmi port on the monitor and it “resets”. Any idea why this happens or what to do to fix? 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>BUT when I switch back from p3 to p1 (Xbox to laptop),.>>>

Yeah, Xbox and PC video handshakes can be a bit different with monitors then, say, with TV sets.

Try this. Instead of immediately switching back from P3 to P1 (Xbox to laptop), physically disconnect the Xbox from the switch. Wait a minute or so. The X27 might display no signal if it doesn't shut off. Then switch from P3 to P1.

Jack E/NJ

• Mll5426
    edited July 2022
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>BUT when I switch back from p3 to p1 (Xbox to laptop),.>>>

Yeah, Xbox and PC video handshakes can be a bit different with monitors then, say, with TV sets.

Try this. Instead of immediately switching back from P3 to P1 (Xbox to laptop), physically disconnect the Xbox from the switch. Wait a minute or so. The X27 might display no signal if it doesn't shut off. Then switch from P3 to P1.

I tried. No luck with that.

So based upon that test, it seems like as soon as my switch does a handshake with the Xbox, it forgets how to handshake again with the laptop?

I guess that’s an issue with the switch. What I also just thought is that I can buy a hdmi to Dport cable for my Xbox. This way, I can directly connect the Xbox to the Dport on the monitor. And then I can use the hdmi switch exclusively for my laptops. And then the handshakes will not interfere.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I guess that’s an issue with the switch>>>

What happens without the switch?

Meaning, connect the Xbox directly to the monitor both off.
    Then turn the monitor on first.
    Then turn the Xbox on. Presumably it works.
    Then turn the Xbox off. Keep monitor on.
    Then disconnect the off Xbox from the on monitor.
    Then connect an off PC directly to the on monitor
    Then turn the PC on. Does this work now?  

Jack E/NJ