Acer GN246HL Blank Screen / Solid White Power Button

Options
Arriel
Arriel Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello, 

I own a GN246HL which at times shows a solid (not flashing), white, not amber, power button. Even if I disconnect it from the power source, and power cycle it (pressing the power button for 60 seconds while it's disconnected) the button will not turn blue, and the screen will stay blank. 

This issue most commonly occurs when powering up the monitor without a laptop/pc connected to it. Here's the craziest part: If I connect it to my DELL Inspiron15 7000 - Windows 10, and then power cycle the gn246hl, then, miraculously the button will turn blue and it will work normally. But if the button is white AND I connect it to my LENOVO Legion 5 Pro - Windows 11, it will not turn blue and it will not work at all no matter how many times I power cycle it. So, what I'm doing is I start the monitor with the Dell machine, and then switch the HDMI cable to the Lenovo. It works, but this is asinine. 

I'd like to know why the monitor becomes unresponsive/unusable, and why the button turns solid white. It's not even in the troubleshoot section of the user's manual. At some point I'll be either selling, giving away or disposing of my Dell laptop, and I'm afraid I'll not be able to start my Acer monitor again.

So, my questions are: 
  1. Why does this happen.
  2. How can I fix it
I've seen this questions being asked three years ago, and has no answers. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>So, what I'm doing is I start the monitor with the Dell machine, and then switch the HDMI cable to the Lenovo. It works, but this is asinine. >>>

So are you saying the ACER monitor seems to work OK with the DellPC but not with the LenovoPC?

Jack E/NJ

• Arriel
    Arriel Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>So, what I'm doing is I start the monitor with the Dell machine, and then switch the HDMI cable to the Lenovo. It works, but this is asinine. >>>

So are you saying the ACER monitor seems to work OK with the DellPC but not with the LenovoPC?

Yes, well, kinda.

If the ACER monitor is stuck in the white button mode, then power cycling it connected to the DellPC WILL make it work. After the ACER monitor is working again, I can connect it to the LenovoPC and it'll behave normally.

But if the ACER monitor is stuck in the white button mode, and I connect it to the LenovoPC, then it will remain unresponsive.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,627 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>If the ACER monitor is stuck in the white button mode, then power cycling it connected to the DellPC>>>

The white button mode means the monitor is in standby mode waiting for a video signal. This is normal but you must follow these directions to use this monitor. This sequence is very important.

First, the monitor must be turned on to be in white standby mode BEFORE the PC is turned on.

So the monitor seems to be working properly with the DellPC but not the LenovoPC.

So try this with the LenovoPC. Disable fast startup in Lenovo Control Panel power button application. Then shutdown Lenovo normally.  Plug monitor into Lenovo. Turn monitor on to be in white standby mode. Only then turn Lenovo on. If it still doesn't work, the problem is with the Lenovo PC, not the monitor because the monitor works properly with the DellPC

You should download the monitor users manual and the multi-language quickstart guide at this link.

Jack E/NJ