Aspire 5 A515-51G keyboard not working how can I fix this problem?

Potatomancer
Potatomancer Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops
I have an Acer aspire 5 A515-51G that is barely 3 years old and some keys don't work sometimes. Keys like T,U,V,P,3, and space bar just won't work sometimes. I cleaned the keyboard, updated the keyboard driver, uninstalled it then reinstalled it, and tried a hard reset. After looking around it seems like other people are having the same problem (here's one https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/comments/oeqa2p/acer_a51551g_it_has_keyboard_problem_sometimes/. Nothing was spilled on it and the laptop as a whole is in great condition. So how can I fix this problem? 
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited July 2022
    Hi@ Potatomancer
    Press and hold down the power button until the computer turns off, then release the button. Press the power button again to turn the computer on, and test the keyboard to see if it works. If that does not work, try draining all power from the computer, which helps reset the motherboard

1. Unplug your keyboard.
    2. With the keyboard unplugged, hold down the ESC key.
    3. While holding down the ESC key, plug the keyboard back into your computer.
    4. After about 5 seconds, release the ESC key. You will see the keyboard lighting flash if the reset is successful.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,512 Trailblazer
    I have an Acer aspire 5 A515-51G that is barely 3 years old and some keys don't work sometimes. Keys like T,U,V,P,3, and space bar just won't work sometimes. I cleaned the keyboard, updated the keyboard driver, uninstalled it then reinstalled it, and tried a hard reset. After looking around it seems like other people are having the same problem (here's one https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/comments/oeqa2p/acer_a51551g_it_has_keyboard_problem_sometimes/. Nothing was spilled on it and the laptop as a whole is in great condition. So how can I fix this problem? 
    Just as a further suggestion after you have done the suggested fix above is this, as your problem could be with the keyboards keys mechanics that have worn out and/or are faulty. The best and cheapest solutions is to buy a new keyboard. My suggestion to you is that you take the OEM keyboard out and have a look at its reference/part number and get the same exact and new keyboard.

If your keyboard is a US International type then the Acer recommended upper case/keyboard (as Acer does not sell or list just the keyboard but a combo of upper case and keyboard) and this is the OEM keyboard that you should replace it with "UPPER CASE ASSY - BLACK W/ Keyboard LV5T_A51B LV5T Internal 15 Standard 103KS Black US International Y2015 Acer Legend Win8 Fine Power + Dish(NK.I1513.031/NK.I151S.021/ NK.I1517.02Z) Acer part #: 6B.GP4N2.001" but look on eBay or Amazon etc for just the keyboard like here which is a "US Backlit Keyboard for Acer Aspire 5 A515-51 A515-51G A515-41G A517-51 A615-51" as they are available, as anything that you will do will not fix a faulty individual key mechanics fault as the individual key parts are not available and its much cheaper to buy a new keyboard and replace your old faulty one.  
  • Potatomancer
    Potatomancer Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Jeyam said:
    Hi@ Potatomancer
    Press and hold down the power button until the computer turns off, then release the button. Press the power button again to turn the computer on, and test the keyboard to see if it works. If that does not work, try draining all power from the computer, which helps reset the motherboard

1. Unplug your keyboard.
    2. With the keyboard unplugged, hold down the ESC key.
    3. While holding down the ESC key, plug the keyboard back into your computer.
    4. After about 5 seconds, release the ESC key. You will see the keyboard lighting flash if the reset is successful.

how I'm supposed to unplug a keyboard from my laptop unless I take apart my computer. 
  • Cancan
    Cancan Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

Not sure if the above worked for you, but if it was anything like myself it won't. I have an Aspire 5 A517-51-33UN, 17" screen, 1TB, 8GB.

My keyboard started doing the same 16months after purchase, keys i,o,l., wouldn't work, soon more nearby stopped working. Took it a guy I know, who tried all sorts made enquires with Acer and was told a complete new keyboard, which mean't the whole top of the laptop had to be replaced. Worked great for 14 months again same thing started happening. Replaced again worked great for again about 14 months and now the power button has stopped working after 13 months, and again letters have stopped working. Made enquiries again about a replacement and no go - part cannot be gotten hold of any longer, though he is keeping his eye out me for a second hand one. The guy who replaced the keyboard top each time, has said whilst a good laptop and I still have loads for memory for use, he's really not recommending a replacement as the cost each time just for the top part is getting more and more expensive, that I could now have bought a new laptop. He told me to use an standard keyboard plug in via usb and it is working great. I cannot turn the laptop off but just close the lid and open to wake up. Works perfectly fine. But I won't be replacing it with another Acer when it comes to getting a new laptop.