PH315-52 thermal paste & fan replacement

Options
sgarcia17
sgarcia17 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited July 2022 in Predator Laptops

I purchased kryonaut extreme for the GPU & CPU and was wondering what mm size thermal pads would be good for the rest. I have a PH315-52.
As for the fans, they've been stuttering on and off for a while now. I suppose I should change them along with the paste.
I looked into the parts I needed, in particular the left fan:23.Q5MN4.001. I think it's the metal-bladed one?
It seems many places are selling plastic versions of it and folks are saying those are fake? I did a forum search and found this link posted by a mod, only thing is that it'll have to be shipped from the EU.
https://www.zandparts.com/en/acer-23-q5mn4-001
Wondering if there's a site that sells OEM parts in the states?

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    sgarcia17 said:

I purchased kryonaut extreme for the GPU & CPU and was wondering what mm size thermal pads would be good for the rest. I have a PH315-52.
    As for the fans, they've been stuttering on and off for a while now. I suppose I should change them along with the paste.
    I looked into the parts I needed, in particular the left fan:23.Q5MN4.001. I think it's the metal-bladed one?
    It seems many places are selling plastic versions of it and folks are saying those are fake? I did a forum search and found this link posted by a mod, only thing is that it'll have to be shipped from the EU.

This is what Acer OEM lists as the appropriate fans for your PH315-52 laptops cpu/gpu so fit only these. With the thermal pads go to Thermal Grizzly and look at their range and measure approximately what thickness the OEM pads are and get the appropriate ones, as Acer does not list the thermal pads specs they only show where the thermal pads should be placed, see caption below.. 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Hi! I advise using an anti-static wrist strap and always disconnect the lithium battery. I advise using grizzly kryonaut or artic mx-4 thermal paste. About thermal pads, I advise you to ask in this thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    This video can help you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llDe7zODtjg&t=114s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51Gne8OBqc&t=52s

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Options
    Thermal pads NOT recommended. Only thin layer of Kryonaut.

Left fan part no, 23.Q5MN4.001, right 23.Q5MN4.002. Plastic blade replacement fans are actually preferred because they're less likely to become unbalanced & vibrate.   

Jack E/NJ

• sgarcia17

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Thermal pads NOT recommended. Only thin layer of Kryonaut.

Left fan part no, 23.Q5MN4.001, right 23.Q5MN4.002. Plastic blade replacement fans are actually preferred because they're less likely to become unbalanced & vibrate.   

Oh alright. I'm curious though,  Is there a reason why thermal pads are not recommended?
    With using the paste, how much should I place? Would a pea size drop be good?  I'm looking at the videos egydiocoelho posted and ...seems like they use generous amounts. The guy in the first video ...doesn't even fully clean the original paste from his laptop...rip. 👀

I guess there's no way around the fan situation than...

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I advise you to ask in this thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Options
    Pads can have air voids where very little heat transfer can occur. Do NOT use pads.

Heat sink and processors should be cleaned of old paste with rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol from HomeDeport or Lowes. Smear thin layer of  paste on heatsink & processor surfaces with your fingers. Then put a very small dab --- much less than pea size ---in the middle of CPU. Don't want the paste to ooze out when compressed over other nearby components.

You can also use a thin layer thermal putty kneaded by your fingers, like gray-colored electrician's sealing clay also from HomeDepot or Lowes, This is more forgiving and less likely to ooze over nearby components.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    sgarcia17 said:

This is what Acer OEM lists as the appropriate fans for your PH315-52 laptops cpu/gpu so fit only these. With the thermal pads go to Thermal Grizzly and look at their range and measure approximately what thickness the OEM pads are and get the appropriate ones, as Acer does not list the thermal pads specs they only show where the thermal pads should be placed, see caption below.. 

• sgarcia17

Tinkerer

edited July 2022
    Options
    UPDATE!:  I finally got the fans, It came sooner than I expected for an overseas order. They said 2-3 weeks, it was here within 5 days!
    Packaging is prestine and it all looks pretty legit. Hoping for the best!

SO I finally opened everything up and just as I was pulling up the heat sink...I realized 2 things.
    1- It seems like they used 3 types of cooling gunk.

Question: Can I use kryonaut where there is putty/grease and minus 8 thermal pads where pads are being used?
    Or continue with putting kryonaut on everything?

2. Unsure on how to release this wire from the board. (pictures below)
     It's not a complete hinderence, I can clean everything up with no issues,
    repositioning the heatsink when i'm done repasting will be awkward though.

How do i detach this?

• sgarcia17

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok, nvm the cord question, I found a way around that. :')
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the temperature that the cpu and gpu are reaching, after pasting the new thermal paste?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer